Attendance:-  34


Assistants – Roger Hughes + Ray Cody

As the end of the season nears the final push to keep themselves in the Premier Division continues for the Yachtsmen as they travel to Bemerton Heath Harlequins looking to complete a rare ‘double’ for the season having won the home fixture 3 – 0 back in early December.

A very quiet first quarter of an hour was only disturbed by the fact that the Referee ordered that Cowes keeper Ed Hatt needed to change his black socks as the home side were also wearing black socks so the match was halted for him to change. Twenty minutes in and the first goalmouth action sees Conor White feed Jimmy Wykes whose shot is pushed away by the home custodian for a corner from which Gareth Bricknell sends a header straight into the keepers chest. Eight minutes before the break and the home side snatch the lead when a Jez Conway back header sees Ed Hatt try to keep the ball in play but a home forward wins the ball back crosses and ROBBIE MATTHEWS nets the opening goal of the game. Shortly before the half time whistle Bemerton thought they had doubled their advantage but the ‘goal’ was ruled out for a handball as the home side went in at half time a goal to the good.

H-t 1 – 0

A quarter of an hour into the second half and once again Cowes created a chance that Gareth Bricknell headed against the crossbar. Finally the Islanders got the leveller they deserved in the 27th minute. A clearance from Jez Conway bounced over John McKie on the half way line but fell nicely for Jimmy Wykes who heads towards goal before crossing to JOHN MCKIE to fire home the equaliser from 18 yards. Callum Watkins replaced Connor Furmidge for the final quarter of an hour but within minutes the Yachtsmen found themselves trailing again. A cross from the right found JACOB RAWKINS whose bullet header beat Ed Hatt from 8 yards. Despite the setback Cowes were not going to be denied the point that their efforts had deserved as minutes before the end Callum Watkins saw his cross into the Bemerton box handled by a defender Referee Carl Rooney pointed to the spot and JOHN MCKIE stepped up to fire home a second equalising goal and gain a vital point in the quest to maintain their Premier status.


COWES SPORTS – Ed Hatt, Conor White, Max Draper, Callum Chase Bkd, Jez Conway, Ewan Cranwell, John McKie (c), Gareth Bricknell, Connor Furmidge(replaced by Callum Watkins 75), Finnley Phillips, James Wykes(replaced by Jack Broomfield 82) Unused Subs; Charlie Allen + Dave Thurman g/k

BEMERTON HEATH HARLEQUINS – Jake Burgess, Robert Crossley, Daniel Field, Dagan Holford, James Lightfoot, Jordan Matthews, Robert Matthews, Jacob Rawkins, Joe Rawkins, Jack Slade, Jamie Waters, Used Subs; Sebastian Dawes, Kelvin Robinson, Harry Rogers

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make this site work and others help us to gain insight into how it is being used.
These cookies are set when you submit a form, login or interact with the site by doing something that goes beyond clicking some simple links. We also use some non-essential cookies to anonymously track visitors or enhance your experience of this site. If you're not happy with this, we won't set these cookies but some nice features on the site may be unavailable. To control third party cookies, you can also adjust your browser settings. If you wish to view any policies or terms of usage that you cannot find on this website, please contact us. You can change your mind and opt-out at any time by clicking the ✻ icon above.
I consent to cookies
I don't consent to cookies