Saturday March 14th  SYDENHAMS FOOTBALL LEAGUE (WESSEX) Premier Division


played at Westwood Park     Attendance – 155

Referee – CALUM MCFARLANE Assistants ; Steve Currie + Charlie Hardingham


Cowes Sports latest attempt to pull clear of the bottom end of the table saw them entertain Fleet Town, whom they drew with back in November when the home side scored an injury time equaliser.

The main talking point at Westwood Park was the surprise re-appearance in the Yachtsmen’s line up of John McKie, who had just transferred back to the Club from Hamble Club FC.


Edward Hatt, James Wykes, Gareth Bricknell, Aidan Bryan, Ewan Cranwell, Scott McFarlane, Finley Phillips, Ashley Brett, John McKie, Jared Wetherick, Michael McEnery.
Used Subs: Ji Nash, Conor White, Morgan Perrin.
Unused subs: Tom Dye, Fraser Law.                                                    
After just 8 minutes, Jared Wetherick saw his effort parried by the Fleet keeper, but JOHN MCKIE celebrated his return, by reacting first to poke the ball home. In his effort to clear the ball, the Fleet defender, collapsed in a heap after colliding with his keeper. He was whisked off to hospital, with what turned out to be a dislocated elbow.
The Fleet forward line were looking very dangerous and it was no surprise when they equalised on 20 minutes. Ewan Cranwell and Gareth Bricknell appeared to leave the ball to each other on the edge of the box allowing DAN BONE to score with ease.
Fleet soon grabbed the lead. After Aaron Redford had missed an open goal, DAN BONE let fly from 25 yards to leave Ed Hatt grasping thin air.
Worse was to follow on the half hour as AARON REDFORD made up for his miss, by firing home from close range, though he did appear to have strayed into an offside position.
John McKie was always a threat when Cowes attacked, first getting in a cross that everyone missed and then forcing the Fleet keeper to tip an effort over the bar.

After the break, Fleet managed to squander another clear chance, but on the hour, Jimmy Wykes was booked for a clumsy challenge on the edge of the box and AARON REDFORD fired the resulting free-kick over the Cowes wall and beyond Ed Hatt into the far corner for what seemed a winning 1 – 4 lead.
With nothing to lose, Manager Max Draper brought on Ji Nash and Morgan Perrin for Ashley Brett and Jared Wetherick and after Fleet had missed another open goal, Michael McEnery got down the left wing and crossed to JOHN MCKIE, who wriggled free on the edge of the box and planted his shot wide of the Fleet keeper to reduce the arrears.
Conor White came on for Jimmy Wykes in the 80th minute.
Roared on by the big crowd, Cowes stepped up the pace and with 5 minutes left, MICHAEL MCENERY fired home to set up a nail-biting finish and then a goal-bound Gareth Bricknell pile-driver was headed off the line.
Ewan Cranwell then screwed his shot wide, when well placed, but 5 minutes into added time, MICHAEL MCENERY broke through down the left and though the Fleet keeper got a hand to his shot, he was unable to prevent a dramatic last gasp equaliser.
The valuable point gave the Yachtsmen a six point gap between themselves and bottom side, Amesbury Town, who lost to an injury time winner at Hamble Club.

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make this site work and others help us to gain insight into how it is being used.
These cookies are set when you submit a form, login or interact with the site by doing something that goes beyond clicking some simple links. We also use some non-essential cookies to anonymously track visitors or enhance your experience of this site. If you're not happy with this, we won't set these cookies but some nice features on the site may be unavailable. To control third party cookies, you can also adjust your browser settings. If you wish to view any policies or terms of usage that you cannot find on this website, please contact us. You can change your mind and opt-out at any time by clicking the ✻ icon above.
I consent to cookies
I don't consent to cookies