06 February 22 2:00 pm
The OnSite Group...
Hampshire Combination & Development League U18

Sunday February 6th 2022          Hampshire Combination & Development U18 League

AFC PORTCHESTER U18  2 (0)  v  0 (0)  COWES SPORTS U18

played at The OnSite Group Stadium                                      Kick Off – 2pm

Cowes Sports U18 travelled to Portsmouth to take on their counterparts from AFC Portchester looking for their first points of the season. Unfortunately Harry Symes went to the wrong ferry port which left the side with just one sub for the game and changes to the starting line up. The game was also played on the main pitch despite drizzle and rain during the morning and before the game.


A slow start to the game nearly came alive in the 14th minute when a Teddy Mumford corner to the near post saw a defender scoop the ball over his own crossbar for another corner. From that the home side broke very quickly and two players bearing down on the Cowes goal with only Sol Carson to beat but the Cowes stopper stood his ground to block and keep his side level. Following a tackle just inside the Portchester half Josh Annett hobbled off to be replaced by Henry Wollweber. Jamie Trowbridge sent a shot at the home keeper which he dealt with comfortably before Sol Carson done well top push a shot away from danger from their number 10. Just past the half hour and a through ball had Henry Wollweber chasing down the home keeper who was lucky to get away with a miskick clearance. Cowes had the better chances towards half time as Teddy Mumford fired wide before then seeing their keeper just manage to parry away a second effort from distance. Finally Jamie Trowbridge was rather annoyed at himself for sending a shot at the keeper rather than making him work to save as the sides went in level at the break. H-t 0 – 0

The home side made a couple of half time changes and looked more dangerous going forward. 12 sent a cross shot wide of the goal before Sol Carson done well to come out quick to save low from their attacker. On 64 minutes Cowes’ task was made more difficult as they were reduced to 10 when Mitchell Cox was sent off for what the Referee decided was a professional foul on their number 10 although from the bench it looked like a shoulder barge. It did not take the home side long to make their player advantage pay as on 67 minutes their forward was given space towards the edge of the box to fire past Sol Carson. Ten minutes later a second goal was scored when Daniel Drudge failed to clear the danger and their number nine netted. Despite the desperate efforts of all Cowes could not find a way back into the game.

A disappointing result for the young Yachtsmen against a side that were their for the taking but special mention to Teddy Mumford who ran himself into the ground and to Rowenn Churchill who was outstanding at the back and must have covered most of the pitch which earned him the Man of the Match for Cowes.

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make this site work and others help us to gain insight into how it is being used.
These cookies are set when you submit a form, login or interact with the site by doing something that goes beyond clicking some simple links. We also use some non-essential cookies to anonymously track visitors or enhance your experience of this site. If you're not happy with this, we won't set these cookies but some nice features on the site may be unavailable. To control third party cookies, you can also adjust your browser settings. If you wish to view any policies or terms of usage that you cannot find on this website, please contact us. You can change your mind and opt-out at any time by clicking the ✻ icon above.
I consent to cookies
I don't consent to cookies