Match report: AFC Portchester v Cowes Sports


Assistants – Alan Gower + Toby Cartledge

A second consecutive visit to A F C Portchester, this time for a Sydenhams Wessex League Cup 2nd round tie.

The home side made just two changes from the previous weeks League meeting, Joe Noakes suspended after being sent off whilst Nathan Kirby dropped to the bench with Harrison Birmingham starting. For their part Cowes were forced into several changes, Isaac Cruise, Jack Broomfield and Darren Williams coming in, Conor White stepping up from the bench as Aidan Bryan, Max Draper Gareth Bricknell and Harry Dye joined Craig Insley and Tom Dye on the sidelines for various reasons.

A great start from the young Yachtsmen as they took the lead after just two minutes when Ollie McArthur’s corner was headed home by CONNOR FURMIDGE to give the Islanders something to hopefully build on. However the Islanders joy was short lived as just two minutes later the home side were level after Callum Chase had conceded a penalty and BOBBY SCOTT netted. Portchester threatened more goals as they piled the pressure on the Cowes goal, but Ed Hatt then Jimmy Wykes’ goal line clearance denied the home side in the 25th minute. A second home goal came in the 28th minute when keeper Ed Hatt could only parry a shot and skipper JOSEPH BYE  headed home from close range.. Minutes later a third goal was added by BOBBY SCOTT, although the home player was clearly offside. Thirty fourth minute and three became four when GARRY MOODY netted. Five minutes before half time and ALEX BALDACCHINO flicked a near post corner into the goal for number five.

H-t 5 – 1

Shortly after the break and things got worse for the Island side when Jimmy Wykes was sent off for deliberate handball in the area and Portchester added a sixth goal as BOBBY SCOTT converted the resulting spot kick. Sixteen year old Danny Pearson then replaced Connor Furmidge before skipper JOHN MCKIE netted a second goal for Cowes from 16 yards. ALEX BALDACCHINO added a seventh home goal before two more quick strikes by the same player made it 9 – 2. Cowes were now totally demoralised but brought on another two sixteen year old’s, Max Coshell and Aarun Ince replacing Jack Broomfield and Ollie McArthur respectively. ALEX BALDACCHINO added a further two goals before  OLLIE SEARLE chipped the final goal of the night from just outside the box before the Referee finally brought the game to an end at 12 – 2 to Portchester.

The lads that travelled to Portchester fought bravely till the end against a very good side that will be up near the summit of the League and possible Cup finalists. The young lads will learn from their experience and hopefully will not let this result affect their attitudes in the future. Manager Steve Hunt, despite the result, can take many positives from the game.


COWES SPORTS – Ed Hatt, James Wykes S/O, George Carter-Knight, Isaac Cruise, Callum Chase Bkd, Oliver McArthur Bkd(replaced by Aarun Ince 75), Conor White, Jack Broomfield(replaced by Max Coshell 70), Connor Furmidge(replaced by Danny Pearson 54), Darren Williams, John McKie (c), Subs not used; Sam Sanders g-k

A F C PORTCHESTER –  Cameron Scott(replaced by Lewis Noice), Rob Evans, Garry Moody, Steve Ramsey, Josh Warren, Harrison Birmingham, Olly Searle, Joe Bye(c), Bobby Scott, Alex Baldacchino, S Hoolihan, Subs not used;  Reece Tuppen, Harry Gregory and Nathan Kirby not used