Match Report Cowes Sports v Tadley Calleva

Attendance – 134

The Yachtsmen welcomed Tadley Calleva to Westwood Park for the first time in four years after many great games in the First Division.

For the first time since becoming Manager, Vic Sanders was able to name his strongest squad. John McKie returned from a hamstring injury, Conor White came back into the starting line up following his cut above his left eye, Jack Broomfield and Callum Chase were also available. The weather had been showery throughout the morning and was too play a big part in the game. Prior too kick off a minutes silence was observed by all in the ground in memory of those that had given their lives in past wars.

Just as the game started so came the rain, steady at first then gradually getting heavier. Kia Parton-Edey was first to have a shot at goal in the 16th minute when following a throw in front of the clubhouse he screwed his shot well wide of Ed Hatt’s goal. A blow for the home side on 20 minutes when Skipper John McKie was forced off with a quad injury, Connor Furmidge replaced him. Shortly after Gareth Bricknell sent a free kick towards the top corner of their goal, but Frederick Gee managed to get across his goal line to save. Cowes responded with a quick break down the right through Jez Conway, the ball found its way across the area too Connor Furmidge but his shot went wide. Right on half time a Tadley corner saw Cameron George beat Ed Hatt to the ball but send his header past the post as the first half remained goal less.

The second half started about six minutes late as water had to be cleared from the pitch near the away dug out. When it did start Cowes began brightly, in the 55th minute Jez Conway was found wide on the left he pulled the ball back too the edge of their area for Jack Broomfield who pulled his shot inches wide of target. Gareth Bricknell was next to try his luck when a Callum Chase cross was met by the now Cowes skipper with a half volley which flew just over the crossbar. Although the rain had stopped for a while it again began to fall heavily at times from around the hour mark which with it laying in places put the game in doubt. Tadley then came close to opening the scoring when Ed Hatt was forced to save low at his near post a Cameron George effort. James Wykes then broke down the right, made his way into the box before firing into the side netting when a ball into the middle may have been the better choice. Tadley then had a shot at goal the Ed Hatt had to tip over the bar before a Gareth Bricknell free kick was headed goalwards by Jez Conway but their keeper saved on the line. Five minutes from time and Cowes right back surged forward into the penalty area before being flattened by Andrew Charsley, Assistant Referee flagged for the foul and Referee Martin Bloor awarded the penalty. JEZ CONWAY stepped up to bury the ball in the back of the net to give the Islanders the lead and Cowes looking for their first win in six games. However Tadley had other ideas and within two minutes were level when a throw near the half way line found substitute SAM HAMILTON who ran through the home defence before slotting in the equaliser past Ed Hatt at his near post. In the final minute the same player again ran at the Cowes defence this time though his shot rebounded back off the post and the game finished all square.

Considering the dreadful conditions both sides should be commended for the way they played the game.

Referee:- MARTIN BLOOR Assistants – Paul Hicks + Ben Cripps


Edward Hatt, Conor White, Dominic Sexton, Aidan Bryan, Ashley Brett, Jack Broomfield, Callum Chase, Gareth Bricknell, Jez Conway, James Wykes

Used Subs; Connor Furmidge(John McKie) 21

Unused Subs; Charlie Allen, Scott McFarlane, Max Draper, Dave Thurman g/k