Match Report – Hamworthy United v Cowes Sports

Attendance – 110

Another tough away game for the Yachtsmen as they travelled to Poole to take on Hamworthy United who were looking for revenge following their opening day defeat on the Island. That day the game was played in brilliant sunshine and soaring temperatures, in stark contrast to the persistent, sometimes heavy rain and windy conditions that greeted the teams for this match.

Once again injury and unavailability hit the Cowes squad. Four changes to the starting line up from the previous game – Zach Fever-Norton, Callum Chase, Ashley Brett and Michael McEnery were all missing. Replacing them were Samuel Kirby(one of three sixteen year olds starting- Scott McFarlane and Jacob Jarvis the other two), Charlie Allen, Jacob Jarvis and the returning skipper John McKie, possibly the only bright spot of the day.

Scott McFarlane was first to have a sight of goal in the fourth minute but his 20 yard effort was comfortably saved by the home stopper. Just four minutes later and the home side were ahead when a corner from the right was headed into the Cowes goal by centre half NATHAN WALKER. He continued to cause the Cowes defence problems as the home side pumped high balls into the box. Twenty minutes in and the lead was doubled by Hamworthy as a ball into the box that picked out SAM BAYSTON who controlled the ball on his chest before clipping it over Ed Hatt in the Cowes goal. That soon became three nil when in the 28th minute a ball from midfield found Eddie Hodge out wide, he crossed into the area where OLLIE DAVIS slotted home as thoughts of recent defeats at the hands of Hamworthy came flooding back. Minutes before half time and the game was over as a contest as a JAMIE FILKINS shot cannoned back off a defender and the striker made no mistake with his second effort with a chip over Ed Hatt for a fourth goal. On the stroke of half time the home side were forced into a change as Luke Stone replaced Ollie Davis.

Cowes made a change at the start of the second half, Callum Watkins replaced John McKie. Nathan Walker then fired wide of goal following a long ball clearance. Callum Watkins then headed wide from a corner as the visitors had more possession but struggled to create chances in the final third. Jamie Wilkins and Sam Bayston were then taken off, with Bradley Gale and Michael Finch coming on. Against the run of play the home side added a fifth goal when a long ball out of defence found substitute LUKE STONE who turned full back Dom Sexton before firing under Ed Hatt into the net. A late effort from Gareth Bricknell tested the home keeper as the points stayed in Dorset and Cowes were left in eighteenth place and in relegation trouble.

Referee:- BRUCE WAYMARK  Assistants – Christopher Porter + Robert Harrison


Edward Hatt, Samuel Kirby, Jacob Jarvis, Dominic Sexton, Charlie Allen, Jack Broomfield, Jez Conway, Scott McFarlane, Gareth Bricknell, John McKie (c), Aedan Coode

Used Sub:- Callum Watkins(John McKie) 46

Unused Subs:- Max Coshell + Dave Thurman g/k