Match Report – Cowes Sports v Andover New Street 09-02-19

Attendance – 123

After surviving an early morning pitch inspection following a couple of days of rain and strong winds, the Yachtsmen took on bottom of the table Andover New Street at Westwood Park. Thankfully the rain stayed away, although the players still had a strong wind to contend with.

Team news from Cowes Sports saw Fin Phillips and Ewan Cranwell missing as they have returned to University whilst Dominic Sexton missed his first game of the season. Josh Appell and Joe Adams were drafted in as Jack Broomfield returned to the starting line up. Charlie Allen was due to play but pulled up in the warm up and had to be replaced by Callum Watkins.

A slow start to the game from both sides. It took 10 minutes before Cowes had the first attempt at goal when  Gareth Bricknell’s corner from in front of the clubhouse was met with a powerful header from Ashley Brett but unfortunately flew over the bar. New Street replied when Callum Sweeney saw  free kick easily saved by Cowes stopper Ed Hatt. As the game livened up Joe Adams set up John McKie but the visiting keeper saved well. twenty four minutes in and the breakthrough came. Gareth Bricknell’s free kick was cleared for a corner by their defence. The corner was swung into the box but again the New Street defence cleared their lines. the Cowes skipper retrieved the ball before swinging another cross into the box, this time the ball was cleared to just outside the right edge of the box where Player/Manager JOHN McKIE controlled it before curling it over everyone into the top left corner of the New Street goal with the keeper only able to watch. A fantastic goal to give the home side the lead. Hopefully this would give the Islanders the belief they needed. Callum Sweeney tested home keeper Ed Hatt with a low shot that was blocked away by the legs of the Cowes No. 1. Jack Broomfield was shown a yellow card for a foul, the resulting free kick was missed by the home defence but their forward blazed the ball over. The visitors began to look more confident and their winger saw a 30 yard effort tipped over the bar by Ed Hatt and from the corner they thought they had scored but the Cowes keeper managed to grab the ball on the line. So Cowes went into the break with a one goal lead, but towards the end of the half it was the visitors who were looking threatening.

Just four minute into the second half and Andover were level when SHANE LOCK cut in from the left strolled past a couple of defenders before burying the ball in the Cowes net. After a midfield flair up both John McKie and their centre half were shown yellow. New Street continued to look the better side and nearly took advantage of a Cowes mistake when Jack Broomfield lost possession, the ball was crossed for Shane Lock whose shot was pushed away for a corner by Ed Hatt. Skipper Gareth Bricknell saw a shot blocked away for a corner on 64 minutes before a couple of minutes later Shane Lock shot wide although had he scored it would not of counted as the offside flag was raised. Cowes replaced Nicky Vyse with Scott McFarlane before Gareth Bricknell became the latest recipient of a yellow card. Ten minute from time a great ball from Joe Adams to John McKie  gave him the chance to steal the three points, but the visiting keeper blocked the shot before the ball was cleared. That was the final goalmouth action with just substitutions taking place in the final minutes, Joe Adams going off for Aedan Coode whilst Jack Broomfield was replaced by Connor Furmidge. So a 1-1 draw that really does not help either side in the quest to beat the drop although the point means Cowes move above Bemerton in the table but the latter have games in hand.

Referee:- TOM CHAMBERS Assistants – Chloe-Ann Anderson + Ryan Thomas


Edward Hatt, Joseph Adams, Jez Conway, Callum Watkins, Ashley Brett, Jack Broomfield, Josh Appell, Callum Chase, John McKie, Gareth Bricknell (c), Nicky Vyse

Used Subs; Scott McFarlane(Nicky Vyse) 74, Aedan Coode(Joe Adams) 85, Connor Furmidge(Jack Broomfield) 88

Unused Subs; Charlie Allen, Dave Thurman g/k


A video of John McKie scoring the opening goal of the game that was posted on Cowes Sports Facebook page has since been used by “Grassroots Football UK” on their Facebook page and had been viewed over 10,500 times as of mid-day Monday 11th February.

Probably 10,00 of them by John McKie !!!!