COWES SPORTS v Christchurch 07-09-19




Played at Westwood Park  Attendance – 113

Referee:- GRAHAM MATTHEWS Assistants – Justyn Leonard + Mark Robertson

The latest instalment for Cowes Sports saw them entertain Christchurch in the league. Coming after a comfortable FA Vase win the Yachtsmen were confident of getting a positive result from this match.

Just two changes were made to the starting line up from the previous game saw Ji Nash replace the unavailable Michael McEnery and Ashley Brett come in for Jez Conway who dropped to the bench.


Edward Hatt, Ewan Cranwell, Dominic Sexton, Morgan Perrin, Ashley Brett, Callum Chase, Scott McFarlane, Gareth Bricknell (c), Ji Nash, James Wykes, Finley Phillips, Subs; Jez Conway, Tom Dye, Isaac Cruise, Darren Williams, Joe McCormack g/k

After a cagey start from both sides it was the visitors that were gifted the opportunity to take the lead in the 13th minute when the Referee, Graham Matthews, awarded Christchurch a penalty when Morgan Perrin and their forward went shoulder to shoulder and their guy fell to the ground. JAMES KING stepped up to send Cowes keeper Ed Hatt the wrong way and open the scoring. In the 19th minute the visitors should have doubled their advantage when Ed Hatt done well to block the first shot before a second effort was sent over the crossbar from close in. Christchurch were now dominating and again tested the Cowes Number One in the 24th minute with a header from close range that saw Ed Hatt produce a stunning reaction save at the expense of a corner. Cowes’ first real chance came in the 25th minute when a long pass from Fin Phillips picked out James Wykes who took the ball around the visiting keeper, but found the angle too tight and the ball went wide. max Wilcock then broke through the Cowes defence but again Ed Hatt rescued the home side with another great block. In the final minute of the half Ashley Brett had the chance to equalise but sent his shot wide of the right hand post.

Three minutes into the second half and the most controversial moment of the game. A shot from Christchurch was blocked by the Cowes defence, the rebound was sent goalwards through a crowd of players and it looked from the sidelines that keeper Ed Hatt had tipped the ball over the bar for a corner, but half the Christchurch side surrounded the Referee appealing for a penalty saying that a defender had pushed the ball over. After consulting with his Assistant a corner was awarded. Gareth Bricknell later admitted that he had pushed the ball over. Got away with one their!!! In the 52nd minute the visitors added a second goal when poor defensive work gifted the ball to Christchurch near the Cowes box, the ball was played to CALUM BUTLER whose shot went in off Ed Hatt at his near post. Despite their efforts Cowes could not find any way back into the game. Both sides made their three substitutions but Christchurch held on to claim all three points with ease. A very disappointing performance by the home side with only Ed Hatt coming out of it with any praise.