Match Report – AFC Stoneham v COWES SPORTS 21-09-19




played at The HP Arena   Attendance – 31

Referee:- KIERAN FORREST  Assistants – Oscar Whiting + Matthew Coreless


Cowes Sports made the short trip to Southampton to take on AFC Stoneham for their first ever competitive meeting.

With several players unavailable Manager Steve Rutter was forced to bring in a few reserves, Max Coshell started whilst Aiden White and Jason Ince were on the bench.


Edward Hatt, Max Coshell, Dominic Sexton, Ashley Brett, Joseph White, Morgan Perrin, Jez Conway, Gareth Bricknell (c), Michael McEnery, James Wykes, Scott McFarlane, Subs: Ji Nash, Aiden White, Jason Ince, Joe McCormack g/k

A very slow start by both sides, only one real chance in the first twenty minute which saw Cowes stopper Ed Hatt save well. Scott McFarlane then picked up a yellow card for a foul on 25 minutes. As the Island side struggled to play their way into the game the home side created a couple of good chances but could not find a way past the excellent Ed Hatt as he produced two magnificent saves to keep it at 0 – 0. Cowes’ first chance of the game came three minutes before the break when a floated Gareth Bricknell free kick found Jez Conway, but his back header was easily saved. So level at the break.

The second half could not of got off to a worse start as five minute into the half skipper Gareth Bricknell was shown a second yellow card followed by red as Cowes were reduced to ten men. Things did not improve as in the 60th minute James Wykes was sin binned for having too much too say for himself. So for ten minutes the Islanders were down to nine. Credit to those still on the pitch as they held out for those ten minutes although the home side did hit the crossbar from a free kick. Seventy five gone and still goalless, Aiden White replaced Scott McFarlane for the final quarter of an hour. Ten left and the experienced Jason Ince comes on for cramp victim Morgan Perrin before Ji Nash replaced Michael McEnery for the final seven minutes. Not much action as both sides cancelled each other out. Then in the final minute, after working so hard throughout the match, a lapse in concentration led to the home side scoring with a looping header over Ed Hatt through MATTHEW BAINBRIDGE to win the game a break Cowes’ hearts.