Match Report – COWES SPORTS v Shaftesbury 28-09-19

Saturday September 28th – SYDENHAMS FOOTBALL LEAGUE (WESSEX) Premier Division


played at Westwood Park   Attendance – 101

Referee:- ANDREW BAILEY Assistants – Alistair Taylor + Jamie Saltzer


The Islanders welcomed Shaftesbury to Westwood Park for the second time this season, this time for their League fixture having won the FA Vase meeting back at the end of August.

Gareth Bricknell(suspended), Morgan Perrin(knee injury) and Joe White all missed this match as Scott McFarlane, Ewan Cranwell and a full debut for 17 year old Aiden “Chalky” White came into the staring line up. Shaftesbury made  just one change to their starting line up from their previous Cup match, a 0 – 1 defeat against AFC Stoneham, Nick Patrick replacing Nick Hewlett. The visitors were only able to name one sub, Keegan Mason.


Edward Hatt, Conor White, Dominic Sexton, Callum Chase, Ashley Brett, Scott McFarlane, Ewan Cranwell, Aiden White, Michael McEnery, Jez Conway, James Wykes, Subs: Jason Ince, Tom Dye, Aedan Coode, Darren Williams, Joe McCormack g/k

Shaftesbury started brightly and nearly took a second minute lead when a goal bound effort was cleared by the home defence for a corner. Cowes responded well as James Wykes broke down the left before sending the ball across the face of their goal with keeper Ben Rollerston pushing the ball away for a corner from which the ball made it’s way from the right across to beyond the left hand post where AIDEN WHITE collected, then blasted it back into the goal for his first 1st XI goal for the club.  In the 9th minute a through ball saw Aiden White through on goal with James Wykes supporting, the Cowes youngster probably should have squared to the latter(who would have had a open goal), but shot instead, their keeper done well to spread himself to block the shot away with his leg. The visitors immediately responded with a quick attack that ended with Ashley Brett clearing the ball over his own bar for a corner. Shaftesbury’s Ben Wood then ran onto a through ball but only managed to fire wide of the goal. Cowes then attacked when they won the ball in midfield before sending James Wykes through on goal but his shot was once again blocked by their keeper at the expense of a corner. Shaftesbury’s skipper, Steve Walker then influenced the Referee into booking Dom Sexton who had cleared the ball down field as the Ref blew for a free kick to the visitors. Five minutes before the break Michael McEnery played in Scott McFarlane but his shot was once again blocked by their keeper who was keeping his side in the game single handed. Two minutes later and another chance went begging when Jez Conway set up James Wykes but although he beat the keeper his shot was cleared off the line by a defender. Cowes went into the half time break one goal ahead, but were they going to regret missing the very good chances they had created?

The second period began as the first had finished, on 51 minutes Jez Conway tried a curling effort from the left edge of the box, but it sailed past the left hand upright. In the 58th minute the same player raced onto a Ewan Cranwell pass, lobbed the advancing keeper but also the bar. 63 minutes James Wykes put through with only the keeper to beat, which he did, but the ball rolled the wrong side of the left hand post for a goal kick. In the 69th minute the impressive Scott McFarlane intercepted a ball in midfield, raced  through on goal but again Ben Rollerston made himself big to knock the ball away for a corner. Darren Williams replaced Michael McEnery and he was involved in an incident close to the end that led to Shaftesbury skipper being sent off for a foul just outside the box as the last man. Shaftesbury’s man of the match, keeper Ben Rollerston then blocked a Darren Williams shot in the last minute before Jason Ince came on for Jez Conway and Cowes held on to the three points.