Match Report – Lymington Town v COWES SPORTS 28-12-19

Saturday December 28th – SYDENHAMS FOOTBALL LEAGUE (WESSEX) Premier Division


Played at Lymington Sports Ground

Referee:- JADE WARDLE Assistants: Robert Harrison + Barnaby Taylor


Following the Christmas break the Yachtsmen were on their travels to Lymington Town who had inflicted two home 0-4 defeats on the Islanders so far this season, one in the F A Cup and one in the league.

Manager Max Draper was still without the injured Gareth Bricknell, Conor White and suspended keeper Ed Hatt while Michael McEnery was also unavailable, but he did welcome back Tom Dye, Ashley Brett and James Wykes whilst Jared Wetherick started for the first time since his return.


Fraser Law, Ewan Cranwell, Aiden White, Aidan Bryan, Morgan Perrin, Ashley Brett (c), Tom Dye, George Carter-Knight, Jared Wetherick, Finley Phillips, James Wykes,

Subs:- Ji Nash, Scott McFarlane, Mitchell Ricketts

Cowes Sports could not of got off to a worse start as they fell behind in the first minute when as they got caught high up the pitch, the home side broke and as keeper Fraser Law came out to bloke the home forward chipped the ball over the advancing youngster to open the scoring. With several fans having travelled from the Island to offer their support to the team the players responded well to going behind. Tom Dye’s 18th minute corner from the Cowes left was headed out to the edge of the Lymington area where Finley Phillips fired the ball towards goal, JAMES WYKES was on hand to flick the ball into the goal from around six yards a bring the Islanders back on level terms which was fully deserved. Their was further joy for the travelling fans when the Yachtsmen took the lead in the 23rd minute as JARED WETHERICK fired home from 18 yards, his 49th goal for Cowes Sports. For the remainder of the half the home side saw a lot of possession but some resolute defending by the visitors made sure that the Islanders went into half time leading.

Lymington Town started the second half with ten men as one had been sin binned shortly before half time, but unfortunately Cowes could not take advantage of their numerical advantage. Slowly but surely the home side began to see more of the ball and work there way back into the game. It came as no surprise when a sublime chip over Fraser Law saw the home side equalise mid way through the half. Cowes tried to change things around a bit as Mitchell Ricketts and Scott McFarlane replaced Aiden White and George Carter-Knight for the final quarter of the game. Once again though the Yachtsmen failed to hold on to what they had as two minutes from time the home side nicked the full three points with a winner that they hardly deserved.

It was later found out that both Bournemouth(3 – 2 at Brockenhurst, and Solent University (2 – 1 at Tadley Calleva) had both won their games which leaves the Yachtsmen 19th in the table 3 points adrift of Bournemouth from same number of games but 9 ahead of Amesbury Town in 20th.