Match Report – Hamble Club v COWES SPORTS 18-01-20

Saturday January 18th  SYDENHAMS FOOTBALL LEAGUE (WESSEX) Premier Division


played at Five Heads Park  Attendance – 63

Referee:- ANTONY SMITH Assistants; Ade Skeates + Liam Twigg


Another away trip for the Yachtsmen as they cross the Solent to take on former old boys John McKie and Callum Chase against Hamble Club.

The only change to the starting team saw right back Conor White return after injury whilst last weeks bench sitters were given game time in the Reserves with Gareth Bricknell, Morgan Perrin and Mitchell Ricketts warmed the bench for this game.


Edward Hatt, Conor White, Dominic Sexton, Aidan Bryan, Ashley Brett (c), Tom Dye, Ewan Cranwell, Finley Phillips, Jared Wetherick, Michael McEnery, James Wykes

Subs:- Gareth Bricknell, Morgan Perrin, Mitchell Ricketts, Max Draper

Prior to kick off a minutes applause was observed by all in the ground in memory of former Wessex League Official Ted Walters.

Michael McEnery had the first chance of the game, but screwed his effort inches wide of the goal. Nineteen minutes into the game and former Yachtsmen John McKie made his way into the Cowes area where he was upended by Aiden Bryan and NATHAN LYNCH made no mistake from the resulting spot kick to give the home side the lead. Hamble Club were well in control of proceedings but on 25 minutes were given a reminder that there were two sides in this game when a loose ball fell to James Wykes whose shot was deflected inches wide of the goal. Despite being under the cosh for the majority of the half, Cowes keeper, Ed Hatt, had had very little to do. Controversy on the stroke of half time as James Wykes collects the ball and makes his way towards their box only to be scythed down by the last man right on the edge of the box. However, to the amazement of both home and away supporters the defender was only shown a yellow card.

Early in the second half Morgan Perrin replaced Conor White for the Yachtsmen. More controversy as Hamble scored a second goal but there were at least two players offside, eventually the Assistant raised his flag, but after consulting his colleague the Referee gave the goal, another decision going against the Yachtsmen. A very poor decision that ruined the game. Soon after a third goal was added and the home side were looking very comfortable, but, Cowes’ “never say die” attitude came to the fore. Gareth Bricknell replaced Tom Dye then Mitch Ricketts came on for Dom Sexton. Within minutes Gareth Bricknell was shown a yellow card. Great work in midfield by Ewan Cranwell gave JAMES WYKES the chance to reduce the arrears for the Islanders. Gareth Bricknell went to get the ball off a Hamble player as you do when you are behind, but a Hamble player was shown a straight red card whilst Gareth picked up a second yellow followed by red. Seemingly another strange decision by the Referee, who was not having one of his better days. With both teams down to ten, Cowes continued to fight back and again great work from Ewan Cranwell in m midfield saw him set up JAMES WYKES who made no mistake, shooting past the home keeper for a second Cowes goal. Any thoughts of an equaliser were dashed when close to the end the home side added a fourth goal with a thunderous 35 yard screamer that gave Ed Hatt no chance.

Although not at our very best we never gave up and battled hard to get some sort of result from the game, but once again decisions went against us.