Match Report – EMIRATES FA Cup Preliminary Rd COWES SPORTS v HAMBLE CLUB 12-09

EMIRATES FA CUP Preliminary Round               Saturday September 12th 2020


played at Westwood Park                                   Kick Off – 15:00                              Attendance – 188

Referee:-   James Byng  Assistants – Andrew Jones + Alistair Taylor

The draw for the Preliminary Round of the Emirates FA Cup had pitched the Yachtsmen  at home to Hamble Club who had deferated Reading City in the previous round whilst the Islanders had overcome Totton & Eling. Cowes welcomed back Aaron Burford to their starting line up but had suffered several blows with Aidan Bryan(knee), Ben Snow(Migranes), Conor White(injured) and probably most important skipper John McKie(hamstring) all missing the tie. In from the bench in midweek came Ewan Cranwell and Aarun Ince as Morgan Perrin, Connor Furmidge, Aedan Coode, Jamie White and Joe Winchcombe joined Jez Conway on the sidelines.


Edward Hatt, Ewan Cranwell, Scott McFarlane(27), Lewis Wright, Callum Chase (c), Arron Burford, Aarun Ince, Finley Phillips, Jared Wetherick(73), Alex Wright, James Wykes,                                                                                                                                                                        Used Subs:- Jez Conway(27), Connor Furmidge(73), Unused – Morgan Perrin, Aedan Coode, Jamie White, Joe Winchcombe g/k

A confident start to the game by the Islanders as a low seventh minute Scott McFarlane shot saw Ellis Grant save well low to his right. Hamble responded well with Will Gange and Luke Mitchell both seeing shots goin g wide of the Cowes goal. A great chance on 13 minutes when a lovely through ball from Alex Wright saw Jared Wetherick in on goal , but once again the big frame of Ellis Grant rescued his side. tyhe end to end play continued as Mac Gange was put through, he cut inside before seeing Cowes stopper Ed Hatt saved one handed at the expense of a corner. Aarun Ince then fired over the crossbar for the hosts before on 27 minutes a blow for the Yachtsmen as left back Scott McFarlane was forced off with a hamstring injury, Jez Conway coming on. The visitors Jack Nicholas then placed a header wide of goal just past the half hour mark. The action continued right up to the half time whistle, in the 44th minute Jez Conway chested the ball into the path of Alex Wright whose shot was straight at their keeper before a Finley Phillips free kick saw Jrared Wetherick’s header pushed away by Ellis Grant for a corner from which another Jared Wetherick header seemed detined for the top left corner of the net, but from nowhere a defender rose to head the ball off the goalline as somehow the first half remained goalless.

H-t 0 – 0 

Twelve minutes into the second period it was Cowes’ turn to clear off the line as Aaron Burford kept his side on level terms. Jack Nicholls then saw his effort comfortably saved by Ed Hatt before Fin Phillips fired over the bar for the home side. On 64 minutes skipper Callum Chase appeared to play the ball in a strong challenge near the half way line but after the whole Hamble side crowded round the Referee Callum was shown a yellow card. Jez Conway flashed a shot wide of the Hamble goal before he and Alex Wright wer both shown yellow cards. Jack Nicholls again saw his shot saved by Ed Hatt, then Lewis Wright fired straight at Ellis Grant as both keepers kept the game goalless. In the 74th minute James Wykes made his way into the right edge of the Hamble box only to be brought down by a couple of defenders, Referee James Byng pointed to the spot despite the visitors protests. Iceman EWAN CRANWELL stepped up to coolly send their keeper the wrong way to net the first goal of the game sending most of the 188 crowd jumping for joy and dreaming of a trip to Wembley. Five minutes from time and a good Cowes move ended with Jez Conway firing wide before Ryan Wilkins dragged his long range effort wide of the Cowes goal. As the game enterd injury time a through ball had Aarun Ince chasing towards goal with Ellis Grant advancing towards him, the Cowes youngster mananged to get the touch past the keeper, sending the ball towards the empty goal, but credit to Mac Grange who got back to prevent the ball going into the goal at the expense of a corner.  After about four minutes of injury time the Referee finally blew for full time which sees the Yachtsmen into the 1st Qualifying Round of this seaons Emirates FA Cup.