EMIRATES F A Cup Extra Preliminary Rd –     Tuesday September 1st 2020

                                                   COWES SPORTS  1 v 0 TOTTON & ELING

played at Westwood Park                                Kick Off – 19:30                                    Attendance – 204 

Referee:- Calum McFarlane  Assistants – Aaron Tree + Andy Jones

A home draw for the Yachtsmen in the Emirates FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round, which, due to the late start to the season, was the first competitive game played and probably the first time the Competition started in mid-week. The Islanders were blessed with a home tie against Wessex One side Totton & Eling.

Manager, Max Draper was in a position that he was able to name possibly his strongest side with both John McKie and Aaron Burford fit to play after picking up knocks in the final pre season game against U S Portsmouth.

Team:-                                                                                                                                                                  Edward Hatt, Conor White, Scott McFarlane, Ewan Cranwell, Callum Chase, Aaron Burford, John McKie (c), Lewis Wright, James Wykes, Alex Wright, Finley Phillips,              Subs: Aarun Ince, Jared Wetherick, Jez Conway, Unused: Ben Snow, Aidan Bryan, Jamie White, Fraser Law g/k

The first opportunity of the match came on 12 minutes. A free kick from just inside the Cowes half into the Cowes box had keeper Ed Hatt calling to collect, but Totton & Eling’s Ashley Shergold managed to jump high and in front of the Cowes number one but headed the ball over the bar, a let off for the Yachtsmen. Cowes’ first chance came five minutes later when Conor White pushed forward before sending in a cross that Finley Phillips headed inches over the crossbar when really he should have scored. Jimmy Wykes was next to create a chance for himself on 25 minutes when he broke down the right, cut inside before firing his effort at Ollie Eyres in the visitors goal. A clumsy challenge from Lewis Wright was punished by a yellow card on 28 before three minutes laterJimmy Wykes again went very close with another effort at goal. Cowes were the only team creating chances as Totton were forced to defend, 35th minute saw a good buiold up from the home side end with a low shot by Fin Phillips that was saved byt their stopper. Shortly before the break the best chance of the half as left back Scott McFarlane made his way into the box before his cross was pushed away by Ollie Eyres, but only to skipper John McKie who looked certain to score, but somehow a defender managed to block John’s shot up over the bar for a corner before, at the other end Ashley Shergold sliced a shot wide of the Cowes goal. Two minutes into injury time a ball over the top of the Cowes defence on the half way line saw Callum Chase bring their forward down, the Totton bench shouted for a red card, but the Referee, much to the relief of the home side, only show a yellow card as the tie remained goalless at half time.

H-t 0 – 0 

The visitors were forced into a  change at the start of the second half as skipper Joe Shelby was replaced by Pat Lachuwicz. A Finley Phillips shot looked to have hit a defender’s arm but despite peanlty shouts from the home players and fans no penalty was given. Totton’s first sub the earned himself a yellow card before a neat one-two from the home side finished with Ollie Eyres saving Lewis Wright’s shot. Cowes then made three changes in nine minute to try and liven things up as Aarun Ince(65min), Jared Wetherick(72) and Jez Conway(74) replaced Alex Wright, James Wykes and Lewis Wright respectively. The visitors then replaced Danny Clarke with Luke Shergold. Again the home side pushed to find the breakthrough as on 77 minutes a great shot from Jared Wetherick had Ollie Eyres at full stretch to push the ball past the post for a corner. Finally, in the 80th minute the big moment of the game when a Fin Phillips free kick from in front of the clubhouse saw JOHN MCKIE’S flicked header at the near post beat the flat footed visitors keeper and nestle in the back of the net to send most of the 204 crowd jumping for joy. Minutes later Jez Conway’s cross was headed at their keeper by Jared Wetherick before Aarun Ince’s excellent run and crossed just evaded Jared Wetherick’s head before the ball reached John McKie whose shot back across goal but ended going for a throw. Late on a challenge by John McKie near the touchline saw him shown a yellow card as Cowes held onto the slender lead and progress to the nest round where they will face fellow Premier Division side Hamble Club on September 12th.