Saturday August 28th    The WESSEX League – Premier Division    Kick Off – 15:00


played at Westwood Park                                                                 Attendance – 135

Referee:- ROBERT HARRISON                    Assistants – Macauley Antell + Ben Orton

Team:- COWES SPORTS – Jamie LININGTON, Connor WHITE (53), Isaac CRUISE, Jez CONWAY, Callum CHASE, Morgan PERRIN, Finley PHILLIPS (c), Ewan CRANWELL (65), Connor FURMIDGE (89), John McKIE (70), Aedan COODE,

Subs:- Jimmy MUMFORD (53), Scott McFARLANE (65), Ji NASH (70), not used Edward HATT

Home again for their sixth league fixture of the season, Cowes Sports welcomed Bournemouth FC to Westwood Park in a rehearsal for the FA Vase tie in two weeks time and looking to complete a hat trick of wins and stretch their unbeaten run to four games. The home side were in a buoyant mood following their Hampshire Senior Cup win against Christchurch.

Jamie Linington replaced the injured Ed Hatt in goal whilst Ewan Cranwell came in for Jimmy Mumford and Aedan Coode for Ji Nash. Bournemouth made four changes to the squad that had lost their Hampshire Cup game at home to Fleet Town by the odd goal in three.

The home side started the game where they left off in midweek pressing hard and playing at pace. The pressing paid off in the 8th minute when Aedan Coode and their right back challenged for the ball by the visitors dugout, the Cowes player won before sending the perfect cross to the far post area where JOHN McKIE smashed the ball past Harry Gravett in the Poppies goal to give the Islander the early lead they were seeking. Keeper Jamie Linington then calmed his nerves with a very good save as he pushed a long range effort from Sami Garcia over the bar. Skipper Finley Phillips slide rule pass gave John McKie a chance to double the lead but Harry Gravett done well to block with his legs. Morgan Perrin then provided the pass but Connor Furmidge clipped the ball just over the crossbar. Poppies left back, Ryan Johnson, was yellow carded after a foul on Connor Furmidge near the halfway line. The Yachtsmen extended their lead on 25 minutes when Fin Phillips slid in JOHN McKIE who rounded the keeper before slotting the ball into the goal. Two soon became three for the home side as Aedan Coode again set up JOHN McKIE who calmly clipped the ball over the advancing keeper. Hungry for more goals the Yachtsmen continued to dominate the game, had it not been for their keeper could have found themselves further behind at half time. Harry Gravett was in fine form to block Conor Whites effort at his left post before saving from Connor Furmidge. The same player then fired wide of goal from distance. John McKie then intercepted a pass intended for the keeper only to see the Bournemouth stopper block his shot. Cowes went in at half time three goals to the good but it could have been six. H-t 3 – 0 

The second half began again with the home side on the front foot and only last ditch blocks denied both Aedan Coode and John McKie from adding a fourth goal. A rare Bournemouth attack saw Martin Warren fire over the bar in the 51st minute. Poppies left back Ryan Johnson was then left for dead by John McKie but the Cowes striker chipped the ball just wide of the right upright. Johnson was replaced almost immediately by Jack Kinge-Phillips. Jez Conway then did well to head the ball off the line from a Bournemouth attack. John McKie won the ball before laying back to Finley Phillips who saw his effort blocked. A substitution apiece in the 65th minute saw Ewan Cranwell replaced by Scott McFarlane for the home side and Morgan Turner come on in place of Sam Herrington for the visitors. In the 69th minute that man was at it again as Scott McFarlane set up JOHN McKIE to net his and Cowes’ fourth goal of the game. When was the last time a Cowes player scored four goals in two consecutive games?? Ji Nash came on to replace hero John McKie in the 70th minute whilst Sami Garcia made way for Jake Harvey for the visitors. Skipper FINLEY PHILLIPS capped an excellent performance when he added number five after picking the ball up just inside their half, running at their defence before slotting the ball past the keeper into the left corner of the goal. Harry Gravett again saved well to deny Ji Nash in a one on one before Scott McFarlane saw his shot deflected for a corner. Martin Warren and Lewis Harvey both picked up yellow cards for the Dorset side. Jamie Linington then saved well form Johnny Efeoje. A minute from full time and Connor Furmidge was forced off to leave Cowes with ten men for the final minutes. Immediately Bournemouth were awarded a free kick 25 yards out and substitute JACK KINGE-PHILLIPS saw his shot deflect off the Cowes wall and loop over the outstretched arms of Jamie Linington. Straight from the restart Jimmy Mumford ran at the Bournemouth defence before seeing Harry Gravett once again deny a Cowes player. So a marvellous win for the Yachtsmen, three on the spin, that lifts them to fifth in the table just two points off top spot, though others do have games in hand.

Note:- Alex Harvey’s Reserve team game at Oakfield was called off due to a Covid outbreak at the Ryde based club.