Saturday September 11th                     The BUILDBASE FA Vase – 1st Qualifying Rd  


played at Westwood Park              Kick Off – 15:00                           Attendance – 122

Referee:- CALUM McFARLANE               Assistants – Andrew Jones + Ethan Grainger

Team:- COWES SPORTS – Edward HATT, Conor WHITE (89), Isaac CRUISE, Jez CONWAY, Callum CHASE (c), Morgan PERRIN (66), Aedan COODE, Darren WILLIAMS, Connor FURMIDGE, Ji NASH (63), James WYKES

Subs:- Lewis WRIGHT (63), Scott McFARLANE (66), Jason INCE (89), not used – Aidan BRYAN, Owen DENNESS g/k

The 1st Qualifying Round of the BUILDBASE FA Vase pitted Cowes Sports at home to Bournemouth with the winners to meet East Cowes Vics in the next round. The visitors had visited Westwood just two weeks earlier and suffered a 5 – 1 mauling, but for this match they did not have John McKie to contend with so a tougher game was expected. Both sides came into the game in confident mood having won their midweek league fixtures, Bournemouth 4 – 1 against Portland United whilst Cowes had beaten AFC Stoneham on their 4G pitch.

A good start from the Yachtsmen saw Ji Nash turn and shoot after just three minutes but unfortunately sending the ball wide of the left post. Two minutes later and joy for the Island side as Conor White sped down the right wing before squaring the ball to CONNOR FURMIDGE who had the easiest of tasks to side foot the ball into the goal. A couple of minutes later a Callum Chase low effort was scooped away by the feet of keeper Harry Gravett. Ji Nash then set up Aedan Coode but the midfielder could only manage to send his shot over the bar. On 13 minutes a bit of controversy as Bournemouth equalised. Sami Garcia appeared to handle as he made his way to the six yard box where keeper Ed Hatt appeared to gather the ball only for Garcia to knock the ball out of his hands giving CONOR JEVON the easiest of tap ins. Despite several complaints from the home defenders and consulting his Assistant Referee Calum McFarlane allowed the goal to stand. Four minutes later and the visitors took the lead when CONOR JEVONS beat two defenders before slotting the ball into the net. Stunned by this Cowes took time to work their way back into the game before on the half hour a Darren Williams effort was plucked out of the air by Harry Gravett. Cowes were then given the opportunity to level when Ji Nash was fouled inside the box and a penalty was awarded. Before the spot kick though following some words said by Captain Callum Chase he was sin-binned for ten minutes. To make matters worse Connor Furmidge then sent his spot kick sailing over the crossbar. A quick free kick gave Aedan Coode the chance to score but a weak effort was easily saved.. Just before the break Darren Williams was caught by a nasty looking tackle by Sami Garcia which led to the Bournemouth player having to be replaced by Jamie Morgan. H-t 1 – 2 

An early free kick in the second half was partially cleared but Callum Chase appeared to be pushed over by a visiting defender but no penalty given. On 55 minutes James Wykes became the second player to be sin binned for saying too much. A minute later and Bournemouth added a third goal when MATT STEER tried to chip Ed Hatt and although the Cowes stopper tried to push the ball over the bar he failed and the ball dropped into the goal. Conor White then crossed but Darren Williams planted his header wide of goal. Lewis Wright then replaced Ji Nash on 63 minutes before MORGAN PERRIN scored his first goal for the Yachtsmen with a surging run from midfield and a neat 1-2 with Connor Furmidge before placing the ball past their keeper into the left corner. But the home sides joy was short lived as just a couple of minutes later Callum Chase was adjudged to have fouled their forward who was definitely looking for the chance to go down and TYRONE CARKEET stepped up to score a fourth goal for the visitors. Darren Williams saw his 79th minute header pushed away for a corner by Harry Gravett. Callum Chase then headed a Jez Conway cross over the bar before a frantic final five minutes was set up when skipper CALLUM CHASE headed home a Lewis Wright free kick. Unfortunately for the Yachtsmen they were unable to force penalties with a late equaliser as Bournemouth held on to take their place in the next round and Cowes miss out on the local derby.

A very disappointing result especially after the great mid week win.