Match report: Cowes Sports v Horndean

Attendance:- 151


Assistants – Andrew Jones + Ben Orton

Cowes Sports final home League game of the 17/18 season saw Horndean visit Westwood Park. The home side still looking for the points that will ensure safety and guarantee Premier Division football next season whilst the visitors were sitting nicely in 6th place in the table.

As per usual injuries meant changes to the team, John McKie (hamstring) and Max Draper, Leigh Mackenzie and Dan Vale all missing from the Lymington line up. Jack Broomfield, Gareth Bricknell, Myles Taylor and Nathan Lewis coming in to start.

For this important fixture a crowd of 151 turned up to support the Yachtsmen, could they provide them with the result they all dreamt off?

After a slow start it was the visitors who drew first blood in the 14th minute, a shot from distance saw keeper Ed Hatt get his hands to the ball but could not stop it trickling towards the goal, despite Ed’s attempts it was HARRY JACKSON who managed too force the ball over the line although a hint of a foul by the Horndean forward. Jimmy Wykes responded for Cowes with a chip over the bar before Connor Furmidge and Sean Wain were booked for a minor scuffle. Myles Taylor, showing plenty of energy and craft set up Connor Furmidge who fired inches wide of target. Denny Reed saw his shot blocked by the Cowes custodian before Wam Kyle hit the Cowes crossbar when it looked easier to score. Horndean did then increase their lead in the 34th minute when a quick free kick led to Wam Kyle seeing his shot parried away by Ed Hatt but ASHLEY HOWES managed to get a foot on the ball to score a second goal. The same player the missed from 1 yard as he lifted the ball over the bar before Callum Chase fouled their forward in the box and JACK MALONEY added number three from the penalty spot. A bleak first half from the Yachtsmen, surely could not get any worse,

H-t 0 – 3

Prior to the start of the second half Cowes Sports made two changes, Craig Insley and Tom Dye replacing Charlie Allen and Jack Broomfield and from the kick off Craig’s influence could be heard by all. Within three minutes Horndean were reduced to ten when Sean Wain went through Jimmy Wykes near the half way line and was immediately shown a second yellow followed by red. A glimmer of hope for the Island side. Jimmy Wykes fired a shot at their keeper before Gareth Bricknell(Cowes) and Jack Maloney(Horndean) were shown yellows from a card happy Referee. Maloney was then replaced by Miles Everett. Horndean’ s Daniel Spackman then was shown a yellow for a trip on Nathan Lewis in the area which led to a way back for Cowes. NATHAN LEWIS picked himself up to score from the spot to give the home side hope. With the Referee again wanting centre stage booking Horndeans Wam Kyle before Matthew Brown fell over just outside the Cowes box and Callum Chase was shown a red card, a very harsh decision but one we should have expected from this Official. Callum Watkins then replaced Connor Furmidge before the last word went to the visitors when MILES EVERETT steered the ball into the goal from 2 yards to seal a comfortable win and keep Cowes wondering whether they may be dragged into the relegation spot.

After a long wait due to a serious injury believed to be to the Amesbury keeper the final scores came in much to the relief of the Cowes faithful. Amesbury had lost 6 – 2 at Hamble Club whilst Newport had lost 0 – 7 at AFC Portchester.


COWES SPORTS – Ed Hatt, Conor White, James Wykes, Callum Chase S/O, Jez Conway, Charlie Allen(replaced by Craig Insley 46), Nathan Lewis, Jack Broomfield(replaced by Tom Dye 46), Connor Furmidge Bkd(replaced by Callum Watkins 80), Myles Taylor, Gareth Bricknell Bkd, Unused Subs;  Wilfred Armfield g/k


HORNDEAN – Lloyd Thomas, Denny Reed, Sean Wain S/O, Louis Edwards(replaced by Danny Boyle 70), Daniel Spackman Bkd, Wam Kyle Bkd, Jack Maloney Bkd( replaced by Miles Everett 55), Ashley Howes, Samuel Hookey, Matthew Brown, Harry Jackson(replaced by Fuzz Kan Janda 50), Unused Subs; Mark Smith + Liam Kimber