Match Report Shaftesbury v Cowes Sports

Attendance:- 26

New Manager, Vic Sanders took his troops on a hour and a half journey too Cockrams, the home of Shaftesbury who were sitting around 15th prior to the game four points behind the Islanders. It was a miserable day weather wise with persistent rain falling all day making for a greasy surface.

One change for the Yachtsmen, John McKie returning after injury, Connor Furmidge dropping down too the bench where he was joined by Harry Dye and Aarun Ince. The home side made two changes too the starting line up from their mid-week draw with Lymington Town, Steve Smith stepped up from the bench while Lewis Morgan came in for Sean Colohan and Josh Williams respectively. James Coffen sat on the bench.

Cowes caused the first problems for the home team when John McKie and Nick Hewlett tangled very close to the home penalty box, but after consulting his Assistant, Referee Carl Rooney gave a free kick to the visitors on the left edge of the box instead of a penalty. Cowes number one then tipped a header over the bar from home forward Benjani, from the resulting corner Jamie Danoris fired the ball at Ed Hatt as the home side got into the game. Shaftesbury thought they had taken the lead when a 10th minute free kick was volleyed in by Adam Flint, but the offside flag was raised. Two strikes in nine minutes, 30 + 39, put the home side in control. First came on the half hour when a corner from the left was headed back across the goal into the net by STEVE SMITH to open the scoring. Nine minutes later and a second goal was netted when another corner saw the ball bounce around the area before ADAM FLINT scored from three yards. Jimmy Wykes then responded for Cowes but his effort flew over the bar before minutes from half time Jared Cousins headed a John McKie cross over the bar.

Aaron Lane-Leney replaced Benjani at the start of the second half. John McKie fired a shot straight at keeper Jonny Hill in the 50th minute before pulling Cowes back into the game in the 53rd minute when skipper JOHN MCKIE challenged their hesitant keeper before rolling the loose ball into the empty net. Jez Conway crossed for Jimmy Wykes whose header was well saved by the home keeper before Conor White tested him from 24 yards which he pushed away for a corner. Ed Hatt then parried away a Jack Mitchell shot as the game ebbed and flowed. Harry Dye replaced Jez Conway as was soon in the thick of the action with a shot that their keeper saved. Fifteen minutes from time and Shaftesbury killed the game with a third goal when an offside STEVE SMITH netted. Apart from a couple of bookings for the home team nothing much really happened in the final stages. Connor Furmidge replaced Jared Cousins for Cowes and a couple of changes for the home side who saw the game out to gain three points and move up to 11th whilst the Islanders stay 7th.

A battling performance from the Yachtsmen but a bit more composure in front of goal and to stop leaking goals at the back maybe to be worked on in training.

Referee:- CARL ROONEY Assistants-  Simon Mitcham + Terry Oldrid


Edward Hatt, Conor White, Dominic Sexton, Aidan Bryan, Jack Broomfield, Charlie Allen, Callum Chase, Jez Conway, Jared Cousins, John McKie (c), James Wykes

Used Subs: Harry Dye(Jez Conway) 70, Connor Furmidge(Jared Cousins) 75.

Unused Subs; Aarun Ince, Dave Thurman g/k