Reserves v Binstead COB 02-02-19


Attendance – 48

With the 1st XI match at Hamble Club postponed due to a frozen pitch, attention turned to Westwood park where the Reserves due to entertain Binstead COB in their penultimate home League game. The pitch passed a 11am inspection so the game went ahead.

The visitors were first to create a chance just two minutes in when Island manager Tom McInnes fired wide of ben Gearings goal. Cowes responded with a swift attack down the right, Jack Broomfield played the ball out to Callum Watkins whose cross found Dan Pearson in the middle but his effort also missed the target. Binsteads’ Harris Payne then had a couple of shots at goal, the first after a lay off by Tom McInnes from the edge of the Cowes box flew over the bar whilst the second effort had Ben gearing scrambling across his line to push the ball away for a corner. Twenty minutes in and the best chance of the game so far when Callum Watkins cut in from the right, his cross was blocked and the ball came back to the Cowes wide man, he then set up Sam Kirby whose shot was well saved by Kieran Williams in the visitors goal. Callum Watkins capitalised on a Binstead mistake but could not beat their stopper who made a good save low to his right to save his teammates blushes. Just past the half hour Cowes gave away a needless corner and were lucky not to fall behind when Tom McInnes headed over the bar. Having already been booked for a foul, Binsteads Jacob Morley was shown a second yellow for dissent leading to a red card leaving the visitors down to ten men for the last 50 minutes of the match. Kirk Austin tried his luck from 35 yards but again Ben Gearing saved low to his left. Sam Kirby cut in from the right before firing across goal getting a touch from a Binstead defender and going for a corner to the Yachtsmen second string from which a cross was sliced over his own crossbar by another defender as the first period remained goalless.

At half time both sides made a change, Ryan Marchbank coming on for Binstead whilst Jack Broomfield was replaced by Scott McFarlane for Cowes Reserves. Tom McInnes tried his luck from 30 yards but saw hic effort clear the bar before Captain Max Draper crossed for Aarun Ince whose shot was blocked. Five minutes into the second half and the home side finally broke the deadlock when Callum Watkins and Aarun Ince combined well on the left before the latter crossed and MAX COSHELL slid in at the back post to net from two yards, much to the delight of the watching 1st XI players. Shortly after a corner from in front of the clubhouse was met by a header from Jacob Jarvis which cannoned back off the crossbar. Binstead were forced to change their keeper on the hour mark when Kieran Williams injured a knee in a challenge with Callum Watkins, Former Cowes player Sam Hart came on and Tom McInnes took over in goal. Sam Hart was immediately in the action when his shot was turned over the bar by Cowes No. 1 who from the resulting corner produced a point blank save when the ball deflected off one of his defenders. Connor Furmidge replaced Dan Pearson for the home side and Jhae Rhayment came off for James Green. Sam Hart fired wide for Binstead before Max Coshell set up Callum Watkins but his shot was superbly saved by stand in keeper Tom McInnes. Ten minutes from time Cowes were gifted the chance to extend their lead when Callum Watkins was tripped in the box by Ant Foreman, the resulting spot kick was netted by CONNOR FURMIDGE sending the keeper the wrong way. Five minutes later a second spot kick was given to Cowes when Callum Watkins was kicked, Referee played on as Callum managed to get a shot at goal that was blocked so he went back to award the penalty. However a poor kick from 12 yards by Callum Watkins saw Tom McInnes save to his right. Paul Gould replaced Aarun Ince for the final minutes.

A good game particularly in the second half, Cowes trying to make their man advantage tell but Binstead always looking dangerous when attacking. Cowes Reserves move up a place to 8th on 22 points whilst Binstead drop to 5th on 26 points.

Referee:- John Hopkinson


Ben Gearing, Max Coshell, Jacob Jarvis, Jack Broomfield, Mitchell Ricketts, Max Draper (c), Samuel Kirby, Aedan Coode, Daniel Pearson, Aarun Ince, Callum Watkins

Used Subs:- Scott McFarlane(Jack Broomfield) 46, Connor Furmidge(Daniel Pearson) 70 Paul Gould(Aarun Ince) 85

Unused Subs:- James Wright, Charlie Butt