Match Report – v Horndean 20-04-19

Attendance – 55

So the final Wessex Premier game of the season saw the Yachtsmen travel to Five Heads Park to take on second placed Horndean, a ground where we have not had much success recently.

With the Gold Cup Semi Final in mind, Player/Manager John McKie made a few changes. Jack Broomfield, Jacob Jarvis came into the starting line up as did the returning skipper Gareth Bricknell. Dominic Sexton was left on the bench along with Samuel Kirby and Charlie Allen while Conor White and Callum Chase were rested.

Despite the changes Cowes started brightly as Gareth Bricknell’s sixth minute ball over the home defenders was seized upon by John McKie, but his shot from the edge of the box went well wide of target. In the eighth minute Gareth Bricknell was fouled in the box and a penalty was awarded to Cowes. Up stepped the reliable JOHN MCKIE to send the ball high into the top right of the home goal to give the Yachtsmen the lead and hope of finishing the League campaign with a win. In the 11th minute Gareth Bricknell saw his 35 yard effort clip the top of the crossbar. With the Islanders on top they were controversially denied a second spot kick when on 16 minutes a long clearance from Jez Conway saw Jimmy Wykes bearing down on goal, the home keeper came out and took the Cowes forward out, but with the Referee some 25 yards behind play, he waved away Cowes’ appeals away much to the disgust of the Cowes bench. Obviously the Assistant was also not in a position to help!! Within minutes a ball over the top found ALFIE LIS whose effort found the back of the net. John McKie tried his luck in the 25th minute, the home keeper fumbled but was lucky that the ball went out for a corner to the visitors. In the final minute of the first half a shot from distance was superbly saved by Ed Hatt, but unfortunately the loose ball fell to the middle of the box, with the visitors defence slow to react BENNY REID took full advantage to net a second goal for the home side. A disappointing way to end a half that we had dominated.

Just ten minutes into the second half and further joy for the home side as they increased their lead when ALFIE LIS scored. In the 62nd minute birthday boy Sam Kirby replaced Jack Broomfield. before two quick strikes from Horndean on 67, substitute HARRY JACKSON and 69, also substitute MARK SMITH, finished the game as a contest. Charlie Allen replaced Aedan Coode for the final ten or so minutes but a late strike from HARRY JACKSON added a sixth goal for the home side and end the Islanders misery.

Referee:- JAMES BYNG Assistants:- Jordan McRitchie + Kai Morgan


Edward Hatt, Jez Conway, Jacob Jarvis, Ashley Brett, Aidan Bryan, Jack Broomfield, Aedan Coode, John McKie, Callum Watkins, Gareth Bricknell (c), Jimmy Wykes

Used Subs:- Samuel Kirby(Jack Broomfield) 62, Charlie Allen(Aedan Coode) 79

Unused Sub:- Dominic Sexton

So another season completed and the target that was set of staying in the Premier Division was successfully achieved, now to turn the attentions to the Gold Cup.

Prior to this game a statement was posted on social media stating that STEVE RUTTER, who has been helping John McKie out for the run in, has been named as the new Manager for next season. John had said that whilst he has enjoyed the short stint of being in charge, he felt that, as he wants to concentrate on playing, it would be better for someone else to be in charge. Cowes would like to thank John and his team for the hard work that they have put in to help the team stay up. We also would like to welcome Steve as our new Manager, he certainly won the respect of all the players during his time helping John and I am sure he and his team will be looking to bring in a few players to strengthen the squad.