Match Report v W + B Sports Gold Cup Semi Final 23-04-19

IoW Senior (GOLD) Cup Semi Final

played at St Georges Park

Attendance – 379

With the League campaign over for the Yachtsmen, the attentions turned to the Gold Cup as they took on IoW Division One Champions, Whitecroft & Barton Sports, at Newport FC’s St Georges Park for the right to play Newport FC in the Final at East Cowes Vics ground.

John McKie made a few changes from the side that had played at Horndean a few days earlier. Callum Chase, Fin Phillips and Connor Furmidge all started whilst Michael McEnery was on the bench along with Jack Broomfield, Callum Watkins, Aedan Coode and Dom Sexton who was nursing a groin injury, young Jacob Jarvis keeping his place in the side.

Cowes got off too a bright start with Fin Phillips free kick being tipped over the bar by W & B stopper Gareth True. However he could do nothing in the 11th minute as the Yachtsmen took the lead when skipper Gareth Bricknell was strong in midfield to win the ball before sliding a pass into the path of top scorer JOHN MCKIE who from the edge of the box slotted the ball into the right corner of the goal. Having taken the lead, Cowes began too dominate, but the Island league side were determined not too allow the Wessex Prem side too settle and within the space of 20 minutes(17 to 37) four players were shown yellow cards for fouls, a couple of which were quite nasty. In the 38th minute Connor Furmidge saw his curling effort from outside the box miss the right hand post by about a meter. Then on the stroke of half time Jez Conway became the first Cowes player to be booked, again for a foul.

The second half saw W & B sent out some time before Cowes appeared, and it was the Island League side that began the better. The Yachtsmen were stunned in the 59th minute when a needless free kick was given away just wide of the left of the box around 35 yards out. Aidan Sainsbury sent the ball into the box where SAMUEL YELLAND headed the ball past Ed Hatt into the right corner of the Cowes goal for a deserved equaliser. W & B’s confidence grew whilst Cowes seemed to crawl back into their shell. replaced John Bilton with Jack East on 70 minutes as the lower ranked side bossed what was happening. Gareth Bricknell was harshly booked in the 82nd minute before an Aidan Sainsbury piledriver flew just past Ed Hatt’s goal. Aedan Coode and Callum Watkins were brought into the action in place of Fin Phillips and James Wykes in the hope of injecting some pace and skill. Cowes then harshly had Jez Conway sent off for a second booking when Josh Appell looked as though he had dived near the right corner flag. Joe Rayner became the 5th W & B player to be booked before a low Gareth Bricknell shot in the final minute was saved by Gareth True. At the full time whistle the scores remained one apiece so this semi final would be decided on penalties.

ASHLEY BRETT netted with his spot kick, as did Matthew Evans, 1-1, skipper Gareth Bricknell saw his spot kick saved by Gareth True before Aidan Sainsbury netted to give W & B the advantage 1 – 2, Michael McEnery saw his kick crash off the crossbar then Freddie Knowles scored for a 1 – 3 lead. Cowes Player/Manager and regular penalty taker John McKie then had to score to keep his side in the contest, but once again Gareth True made a great save to earn his side a place in the Final against Newport leaving Cowes disappointed and their season over.

Referee:- TOM BERRY Assistants – Aaron Tree + Ian Smith


Edward Hatt, Jez Conway, Jacob Jarvis, Ashley Brett, Aidan Bryan, Callum Chase, Finley Phillips, John McKie, Connor Furmidge, Gareth Bricknell (c), James Wykes

Used Subs:- Michael McEnery(Connor Furmidge) 60, Aedan Coode(Finley Phillips) 83, Callum Watkins(James Wykes) 85

Unused Subs; Jack Broomfield, Dominic Sexton