Match Report – Fleet Town v COWES SPORTS 30-11-19

Saturday November 30th – SYDENHAMS FOOTBALL LEAGUE (WESSEX) Premier Division


played at Calthorpe Park   Attendance – 131

Referee:- SAM HUNT Assistants; Freddie Miah + Thomas Wharton


The Yachtsmen were again on their travels to North Hampshire and the home of Fleet Town, Calthorpe Park, for the second successive away fixture for the new Management team.

With Aidan Bryan unavailable, Aiden White(on bench), Darren Williams and Ben Holdsworth in the Reserves, Jacob Jarvis, Tom Dye and Mitchell Ricketts(1st XI debut) came into the starting line up, whilst Michael McEnery returned on the bench against Fleet who sat three places above Cowes in the table but seven points clear.


Edward Hatt, Conor White, Dominic Sexton, Morgan Perrin, Mitchell Ricketts, Ashley Brett (c), Scott McFarlane, Jacob Jarvis, Tom Dye, Ji Nash, James Wykes

Subs:- Daniel Pearson, Michael McEnery, Aiden White

kick off was delayed by ten minutes due to the traffic on the way up to the game. The game started with the home side having the advantage of playing down the slope, but it was the Islanders who had the first chance when after just two minutes Ji Nash and James Wykes combined well, but the latter’s shot went across goal and out for a throw. Ten minutes in and skipper Ashley Brett, with four home players around him, fed the ball to James Wykes who fired over the bar. A very positive start for the Yachtsmen. Tom Dye then was shown a yellow card for a tackle from behind. For the remainder of the first half most of the play was condensed to the middle third of the park until, a minute before the break Cowes opened the scoring when a Tom Dye volley from around 35 yards was blocked by the home defence, the loose ball was knocked to JI NASH just outside the home penalty area, he calmly placed the ball wide of the home keeper into the left corner of the goal to the delight of the travelling crowd(all six of us, including former player Andy Glaysher). So Cowes went into half time one up which was fully deserved.

The Island side made a change at the start of the second half with Michael McEnery replacing Jacob Jarvis. Cowes made the worst possible start to the second period as they conceded in the 47th minute when a ball into the Cowes box was volleyed into the Cowes net by KIERAN NAGLE-KELLY to the delight of many of the 131 crowd. Two minutes later the home side nearly snatched the lead when a long throw into the danger zone was not dealt with by Cowes and Kieran Nagle-Kelly smacked the ball 0ver the bar. Injury then forced Dominic Sexton off, Aiden White coming on. James Wykes thn fired wide in the 55th minute before Ji Nash was fouled on the right edge of the Fleet area, but was booked by the Referee, who was not having a good day with some strange decisions for both teams, for diving.  Tom Dye who had had a superb game in midfield, was replaced by Daniel Pearson, a change that saw Ji Nash drop into midfield.  Concern for the visitors in the 58th minute when Ashley Brett landed badly on his head/neck following a challenge with their skipper Sam Williams. The home physio immediately ran onto the pitch to administer treatment to the Cowes skipper. After several minutes play resumed with Ashley Brett fully recovered to continue. Both sides pressed for a second goal which eventually came in the 89th minute when a James Wykes inswinging corner was not cleared by the home defence, the ball fell nicely to MICHAEL MCENERY who thumped it into the net to give the Yachtsmen the lead although the would be plenty of injury time. Five minutes into  added time a ball into the Cowes box saw home skipper handle the ball which did not appear to be seen by the Officials. Following a scramble Fleet’s Stuart Derry punched keeper Ed Hatt and a free for all inside the six yard box ensued. After things settled down the Referee went across to his Assistant(who could not of had a very good view as he was 20 yards away, the Referee was within two yards), after consulting him Ed Hatt(Cowes Sports) and Stuart Derry(Fleet Town) were both red carded for violent conduct. Morgan Perrin went in goal for Sports. In the 98th minute a ball into the Cowes box found substitute CAVAN ATKINSON who blasted it into the net to level the scores and leave the Islanders deflated.

Other results meant that Cowes Sports moved up one place having now picked up four points on their travels in Max Drapers first two games. Lets hope that continues.