BUILDBASE FA Vase 1st Qualifying Round         Saturday September 19th 2020

                              COWES SPORTS 2 v 2 DEVIZES TOWN                                                             (Cowes Sports win 5 – 4 on penalties)   

played at Westwood Park                                              kick off 3pm                                           Attendance – 184

Referee:- Andrew Dunn  Assistants – Daniel Batchelor + Jamie Gardner

The Yachtsmen came into this Builbase FA Vase tie in confident mood despite their League Cup defeat on penalties to Brockenhurst in mid-week. Both Ewan Cranwell, Finley Phillips and Alex Wright all returned to the starting XI which also included new signing from Sholing FC, Aidan Radford whilst George Holmes had completed his transfer from Newport IW and was named as a substitute. For the visiotors this was there very first competitve game of the season as three of their plauers had tested positive for Covid19 and the team had to be put into isolation for two weeks.


Edward Hatt, James Wykes, Ewan Cranwell, Lewis Wright(82), Callum Chase (c), Aaron Burford, Aidan Radford, Finley Phillips, Jared Wetherick(75), Alex Wright, Aarun Ince, Used Subs: George Holmes(75), Ben Snow(82), Unused Subs – Jimmy Mumford, Scott McFarlane, Conor White, Connor Furmidge, Joe Winchcombe g/k

An early corner for the Wiltshire side was headed over the Cowes crossbar, but disaster for the Island side on 7 minutes when keeper Ed Hatt rolled the ball to the edge of his box to Lewois Wright, but Devizes Town’s SAMUEL DODDS closed in on the Cowes player, knicked the ball off of him before calmly slotting it past the helpless Cowes keeper into the net to give the Wiltshire side a dream start in their first game of their season. In fairness Cowes responded well, James Wykes fed the ball down the right and new signing Aidan Radford comfortably beat his marker before his cross was gathered in by keeper Martin Mitchell. Devizes Town’s Alistair Bradway became the first player to be shown a yellow card for a crude tackle on the halfway line on Ewan Cranwell. A quarter of an hour in and Callum Chase released the impressive Aidan Radford whose cross again was too close to the visiting keeper who caught easily. Lewis Wright then fired wide of target before the visitors Matt Swann also blasted wide of goal. Another opportunity for Cowes’ new boy but Aidan Radford’s effort flew across the face of goal and harmlessly out for a goal kick. Devizes’ left back, Luke Enderby was then forced off with a leg injury and was replaced by Davin Selkridge-Carty. Another Aidan Radford shot was well blocked by the feet of Martin Mitchell before five minutes before the break it was James Wyks that fired across the face of goal and wide of the goalOn 45 minutes a Cowes short corner to James Wykes who flighted a cross to the far post where skipper Callum Chase headed over. Finally, two minutes into first half injury time and the Yachtsmen were back on level terms, Lewis Wright’s shot from outside the box saw Martin Mitchell dive low to his left to push the ball away but only into the path of AIDAN RADFORD who blasted the ball into the goal much to the delight of another decent crowd at Westwood Park, 184. So at half time the scores were level at one apiece.

H- t 1 – 1 

Cowees kicked off the second half and were immediately on the attack, a ball down the right found James Wykes whose pull it back picking out ALEX WRIGHT on the edge of the six yard box, he in turn smashed the ball into the roof of the net to send the home side in front for the first time within 45 seconds. This time the visitors responded well and really should have equalised within a minute but Ed Hatt and his defenders somehow managed to keep the ball out of the goal before it flew over the bar.. In the 55th minute an excellent Aarun Ince cross gave Finley Phillips a chance to increase the home sides lead, but he slightly scuffed his shot and it deflected off a defender for a corner. Devizes then had peanlty appeals waved away by the excellent Referee Andrew Dunn before a yellow card was shown to the visitors Dan Harvey for a push on Jared Wetherick. Aidan Radford then set up Jared Wetherick but his volley flew over the bar. Kian Fulford was replaced by Paul Gittens on 65 minutes for Devizes. Alex Wright saw his powerful shot blocked by Davin Selkridge-Carty before another change for the visitors as James Stobbard came on in place of Charlie Buckingham. Cowes then made their first change with new signing from Newport, George Holmes came on in place of Jared Wetherick. Lewis Wright earned himself a 77th minute booking for kicking the ball away. The Islanders then paid the penalty for not killing the game off when out of nothing SAMUEL DODDS fired past Ed Hatt from inside the six yard box. Ben Snow then replaced Lewis Wright for the final eight minutes but neither side could create a winning opportunity and the game ended 2 – 2 and the tis was to be settled with peanalty kicks for the second game running at Westwood Park.

MATT SWANN netted the first spot kick for Devizes Town, Iceman EWAN CRANWELL levelled for the Islanders. Ed Hatt then dived to his right to save Jack Woods spot kick for the visitors whilst FINLEY PHILLIPS put Cowes ahead conserting his kick from 12 yards. JAMES STOBBARD levelled for the Wiltshire side but Cowes substitute GEORGE HOLMES restored the home sides advantage. PAUL GITTENS again levelled for the Western League Division 1 side, but AARON BURFORD scored for Cowes to again give them the advantage. Devizes skipper ASHLEY LOCK stepped up knowing he had to score to keep his side in the game and he sent Ed Hatt the wrong way, so it was left to Cowes’ Man of the MatchALEX WRIGHT to send the ball into the roof of the goal and book the home sides place in the 2nd Qualifying round and another home game against Sussex side Pagham on Saturday October 10th.