SYDENHAMS FOOTBALL LEAGUE(WESSEX) – Premier Division                                                          Tuesday December 8th 2020


played at Westwood Park                   Kick Off – 7:30pm                             Attendance – 101

Referee:- Calum McFarlane                                                                  Assistants – Aaron Tree + Chris Cass

After a months delay due to the Covid 19 lockdown period throughout November Cowes Sports first team returned to action at Westwood Park with the visit of Lymington Town who up to this game still with a 100% record in the League from their first eight games having conceded just one goal. So0 a nice easy return to football for Max Draper’s team. The team news for the home side saw Fraser Law replace the suspended Ed Hatt in goal and Finley Phillips coming in for the ill Scott McFarlane whilst new dual signing and former Brading player, Scott Jones was named amongst the substitutes.


Fraser Law, Conor White, Jimmy Mumford, Morgan Perrin, Callum Chase (c), Aaron Burford(59), Finley Phillips, Lewis Wright, Jez Conway, Alex Wright(63), James Wykes(85), Subs: John McKie(59), Scott Jones(63), Aarun Ince(85), Ben Gearing g/k

Given the respective league positions, it was expected that the visitors would dominate possession, but that was not to be the case particularily throughout the first period. A strong start from the home side and just five minutes in Aaron Burford saw his shot from just inside the box curl agonizingly wide of Ross Casey’s left hand post. Three mibnutes later and another oppotunity for the Yachtsmen, James Wykes cross from the right was headed clear by a defender to Alex Wright just outside the area, he cleverly worked a bit of space for himself but also sent his shot wide of the left hand post. Cowes continued to press forward and on 16 minutes arguably the best chance of the game fell to Jez Conway who was put through on goal by a ball over the top, he calmly lobbed the advancing keeper but the ball hit the side netting. Two minutes later and Lymington’s first chance when Owen Fee was released down the left, outside the area left back Jimmy Mumford appeared to accidently clip the heel of the Lymington forward who went down(video seems to suggest that the Lymington player clipped his own heel), Referee Calum McFarlane showed the Cowes left back a yellow card, another harsh decision. It was disappointing to see several visiting players moaning to the referee suggesting that it should have been a red card!!!  The resulting free kick was lifted over the crossbar by Owen Fee. In the 22nd minute a ball through the middle sent James Wykes racing forward only to be pulled to the ground by Lymington left back Luke Churchill, given the card shown to the Cowes left back, a cynical foul as this was must have warranted a yellow at least but to the anger of many of the home support the offender was not even spoken to by the Referee. Lewis Wright sent the resulting free kick inches over the top of the bar. In the 26th minute Dominic Falco saw his effort go wide of the right hand post before, on the half hour, Fraser Law was called into action when he blocked a shot from Sam House before the ball was cleared by Callum Chase. Dom Falco earned himself a yellow card for a foul near the half way line as the first half remained goalless.

H-t 0 – 0

A relatively quiet start to the second half, though it was clear that Lymington had been given a moutyhful at half time by their Management team. Two substitutions by the home side saw John McKie replace Aaron Burford(59 min) and Scott Jones come on for Alex Wright(63 min) as Cowes looked to up the tempo. It was Lymington’s Jamie Bulpitt that had the first chance of the half 20 minutes in but he fired straight at keeper Fraser Law. A minute later Jez Conway done similar form 25 yards for the Yachtsmen. The Linnets then made two substitutions of their own as Conrad Churchill and Tyronne Carkeet came on for Steve Flynn and Sam House.Another controversial incident in the 34th minute when having fouled Callum Chase a visiting player appeared to thrust his head towards the Cowes captain, the match official seemed to think no contact had been made (a picture later showed there had been contact) and no action was taken. Having been moaning all game Lymington’s Owen Fee cut inside from the Cowes left but fired straight at Fraser Law who saved easily. On 82 minutres a needless free kick was conceded wide near the left touchline, the ball was sent into the area but was not dealt with by the home defnce and the loose ball fell to NATHAN HURST whose scuffed shot found it’s way into the bottom left corner of the Cowes goal to break the deadlock and the visiting players showed there relief in celebrating in a huddle. Conor White then had a near post shot smothered by Ross Casey at his lft hand post before Aarun Ince replaced James Wykes for Cowes and Tom Man came on in place of Luke Churchill for the final minutes. In Injury time Cowes’ Conor White was sin binned for something he said as once again the Yachtsmen slumped to defeat by one goal though they can take heart from the performance.