Tuesday August 31st                 The WESSEX League – League Cup 2nd Round


played at Westwood Park              Kick Off – 7:30pm                      Attendance – 149

Referee:- LIAM WHITE                               Assistants – Alistair Taylor + Jamie Saltzer

Team:- COWES SPORTS – Edward HATT, Jimmy MUMFORD, Callum PYE-POULTER, Jez CONWAY, Callum CHASE, Morgan PERRIN, Finley PHILLIPS (c), Thomas ASHLEY, Ji NASH, John McKIE (10), Aedan COODE (81)

Subs:- Conor WHITE(68), Jamie LININGTON(81), Dominic SEXTON, Conor FURMIDGE(10)(68), Chris ELLIOTT

Both clubs have a reasonable start to their league campaign in their respective divisions. Andover New Street came into the game on the back of a very impressive win at New Milton a few days earlier whilst Cowes had thumped Bournemouth.

Cowes made five changes to their side with Callum Pye-Poulter, Edward Hatt, Thomas Ashley, Jimmy Mumford and Ji Nash coming into the starting line up replacing Jamie Linington, Conor White, Isaac Cruise, Ewan Cranwell and Connor Furmidge although White, Linington and Furmidge were on the bench with Dominic Sexton and Chris Elliott. The visitors made four changes from their starting line up at New Milton.

Prior to kick off both teams gathered on the edge of the centre circle to observe a minutes silence in memory of Isle of Wight FA Official Peter Butler who had passed away a few days before.

Straight from the kick off Andover New Street made their intentions clear as they pounced on a poor pass from Jimmy Mumford but the resulting shot saw Ed Hatt save well down low. Robbie Owen then fell to the ground waving his arms claiming a a penalty in the fifth minute which was ignored by Referee Liam White. A 10th minute cross from the Cowes left picked out and unmarked ROSS COOK who had a free header into the net to give the Division One side an early lead. From The re-start a through ball saw John McKie pull up and a blow for the Yachtsmen as he had to be replaced by Conor Furmidge. Twenty five minutes in and the visitors doubled their lead as SHANE LOCK took full advantage of poor home defending to score. Cowes were then given a lifeline in the game when two New Street players collided near the halfway line but because it was not a head injury the game continued as Cowes attacked which was ended by a cynical foul five yards outside the box on Finley Phillips.

New Streets experienced centre half Adam Pearson went mad because play had not stopped and even appeared to push the Referee and was immediately shown a straight red card. After the two players were treated Jez Conway saw his free kick take a wicked deflection which wrong footed keeper Sean O’Brien but the ball cannoned off the top of the crossbar for a corner. Cowes’ best chance of the half came 3 minutes before the break when some great footwork by Connor Furmidge saw him send the ball across the face of goal where Ji Nash looked to have the simplest of chances to pull a goal back but he could only lift the ball over the crossbar. So the Division One side led two nil at the break despite being a man down. H-t 0 – 2 

After a bit of a roasting at the break Cowes came out for the second half with a bit of fire in their belly and within seconds of the restart were back in the game as skipper FINLEY PHILLIPS fired home via a post. The same player then fired over the bar  in the 50th minute before he forced Sean O’Brien to save a minute later. The scores were levelled in the 53rd minute when JI NASH was put in on goal and he calmly tucked the ball past Sean O’Brien. Callum Pye-Poulter then stung the hands of the visiting keeper on 55 minutes. On the hour mark Ed Hatt saved well down low before Callum Pye-Poulter completed the clearance. A gutsy New Street side then found the energy to regain the lead when ROSS COOK smashed the ball past Ed Hatt at his right hand post from an acute angle.

Jimmy Mumford then tested Sean O’Brien who parried his shot away. More joy for the visitors as the dangerous ROSS COOK this time beat Ed Hatt at his left post with another brilliant finish to complete his hat trick. Conor Furmidge was then replaced by Conor White for Cowes. The home side were then given another life line in the 76th minute as Ji Nash’s effort was blocked by their keeper but as a defender tried to clear the ball hit Lloyd Thompson and deflected into the goal for an OWN GOAL. Cowes pushed hard to find another equalising goal to send the tie to penalties but the closest they came was a Callum Pye-Poulter effort that flew over the bar and keeper Sean O’Brien tipped a Finley Phillips shot over the bar as Division One side Andover New Street held on to advance to the next round.

A disappointing result for the Yachtsmen but at least their were no points on offer as they now go back to the League and a important game at the weekend against Amesbury Town who they beat on the first day of the season.