Tuesday December 28th              The WESSEX League – Premier Division


played at Westwood Park                  Kick Off – 15:00                   Attendance – 181

Referee:- JUSTYN LEONARD                           Assistants – Ben Orton & Andrew Jones

The first of two holiday fixtures saw Cowes Sports entertain Moneyfields and hoping to avenge the 0 – 4 defeat suffered in the second game of the season. The game was given the go ahead following an early morning pitch inspection. Following the inept second half performance at US Pompey before Xmas four changes were made to the starting XI. In came recent new signing Jason Malcolmson along with Jez Conway, Conor White and 17 year old Rafferty Boyd-Kerr for his 1st start. Dropping to the bench were Scott McFarlane, Jimmy Mumford, Connor Furmidge and Mitchell Ricketts and they were joined by Jack Barsdell. Prior to kick off both teams gathered around the centre circle to observe one minutes silence in memory of Richard Chase, Father of Callum Chase who sadly passed away just before Christmas. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Chase family.

Team:- COWES SPORTS – Edward HATT, Max COSHELL (52), Jason MALCOLMSON, Jake WATSON, Jez CONWAY (71), Rafferty BOYD-KERR (60), Finley PHILLIPS (c), Conor WHITE, Aedan COODE, John McKIE, Ji NASH

Subs – Jimmy MUMFORD (52), Connor FURMIDGE (60), Scott McFARLANE (71) unused; Jack BARSDELL, Mitchell RICKETTS

The Yachtsmen were looking for a positive start to the game but got just the opposite when in the fourth minute JEZ CONWAY over hit a pass back to keeper Ed Hatt and the ball rolled past the Cowes number one into the right corner of the net. Having missed a great opportunity to double the lead minutes later TOM CAIN di so on 13 minutes when he glanced a header over Ed Hatt into the net but some would question his celebrations??? Even worse was to follow for the home side  as on 21 minutes a third Moneyfields goal was added when TYLER MORRET had a tap in from 3 yards. Finally Cowes seemed to be sparked into life a little now that they were three goals down. An Aedan Coode through ball found John McKie whose shot was pushed away for a corner by Callum McGeorge in the Moneyfields goal. Conor White then got to the bye liner and pulled the ball back to Aedan Coode who turned his marker but his shot went into the side netting. shortly before half time Jez Conway was shown a yellow card for trying to pull  a Moneyfields player back whilst he was on the attack. H – t 0 – 3 

Credit to Cowes they came out for the second half with more passion. Max Coshell was replaced by Jimmy Mumford in the 52nd minute, Conor White dropping to full back. However within a minute a quick fire break from the visitors ended with TYLER MORRET firing the ball past Ed Hatt into the top of the net for a fourth goal. Moneys’ Jordan Pile earned himself a booking in the 58th minute. Both side made a change on the hour mark, Connor Furmidge replacing Rafferty Boyd-Kerr for the home side and Elliott Turnbull coming on for James Franklyn for the visitors. Jordan Pile was then taken off with Matt McGlinchey coming on in the 63rd minute. A moment of joy for the home side in the 65th minute as John McKie raced down the right to the bye line before crossing into the box and CONNOR FURMIDGE powering a header into the goal much to the delight of the Westwood faithful for his 50th goal for the Yachtsmen. A soft yellow card was then shown to Jake Watson showing the inconsistency of Referees who allowed similar Moneyfields challenges to go unpunished. Cowes’ final change saw Scott McFarlane replace Jez Conway in the 71st minute. Two minutes later Elliott Turnbull then somehow managed to send the ball over the crossbar from 2 yards out. Moneys’ third change saw Declan Seiden replaced by Josh Bailey. The final action of the game came two minutes from time when MATT McGLINCHEY was allowed time and space on the edge of the Cowes area to pick his spot as he added a fifth goal to complete a miserable day for the Yachtsmen.