Saturday September 4th   The WESSEX League – Premier Division   Kick Off – 15:00


played at Westwood Park                                                            Attendance – 138

Referee:- DARREN COOLEY        Assistants – Abbas Ali Rajwani + Jamie Gardner

Team:- COWES SPORTS – Edward HATT, Conor WHITE, Callum PYE-POULTER, Jez CONWAY, Callum CHASE, Morgan PERRIN (75), Finley PHILLIPS (c), Jimmy MUMFORD (49), Ji NASH, George CARTER-KNIGHT, Aedan COODE (61),

Subs:- James WYKES (49), Connor Furmidge (61), Mark ROBERTSON (70) not used – Owen DENNESS

Following the League Cup defeat in midweek Cowes Sports returned to League action with a home game against Amesbury Town who they had beaten on the first day of the season at Bonnymead.

Cowes welcomed back George Carter-Knight to the club  and he and Conor White both started the game in place of John McKie(injured) and Thomas Ashley from the midweek game.


Skipper Finley Phillips sent Conor White down the right in the 2nd minute but his cross shot fizzed wide of Ernest Osei’s right hand post. A good start from the home side continued as Morgan Perrin saw his 4th minute effort blocked by a defender before he sent the rebound over the bar. A 50/50 challenge close to the halfway line in front of the main stand saw Referee Darren Cooley harshly yellow card Cowes left back Callum Pye-Poulter in only the sixth minute. George Carter-Knight then sent a teasing ball into the six yard box which Ernest Osei got down well to save. Amesbury’s Jamie Matthews then tried a cheeky lob but managed to clear the Cowes crossbar.

A quick star from the Yachtsmen continued when Fin Phillips swung the ball into Aedan Coode and once again the visitors keeper done well to pluck the ball out of the air. A couple more efforts from the Wiltshire side saw one fired wide and keeper Ed Hatt save comfortably. Once again Ernest Osei done well to block with his feet a shot from George Carter-Knight. Having had most of the possession Cowes were shocked on 32 minutes when JORDAN MATTHEWS was allowed to cut inside from the touch line before lifting the ball over Ed Hatt into the empty net. The Island side were stunned by this but did not seem capable of finding a way back into the game. In first half injury time Copnor White saw his cross shot deflected by Zac Pickett for a corner as the visitors headed into the break a goal to the good. H-t 0 – 1 

Cowes came out for the second half with a half time rollicking still ringing in their ears. In the 49th minute a change was made by Cowes as James Wykes replaced Jimmy Mumford. However it was Amesbury who nearly doubled their lead a minute later as Matthews saw his effort deflected away from goal for a corner, from which Stefan Williams headed wide for Amesbury. Finally the Yachtsmen got the equaliser on 53 minutes when James Wykes saw his first cross blocked by a defender but second time round picked out GEORGE CARTER-KNIGHT about twelve yards out to volley the ball into the goal. A couple of Finley Phillips free kicks saw one fly wide of the left post and Callum Chase head over the bar.. Connor Furmidge was brought on in place of Aedan Coode to try and liven the game up. Amesbury had two good chances in quick succession as Stefan Williams watched his header come back off the left hand post into the grateful arms of Ed Hatt before Ethan Zimmermann glance a header wide of goal.

Connor Furmidge then set up Finley Phillips but he was denied by Ernest Osei who then saved the rebound shot from James Wykes. Cowes then replaced Morgan Perrin with youngster Mark Robertson. ji Nash forced their keeper to save and within seconds Ed Hatt had to save well before Callum Chase cleared the rebound off the line. James Wykes then ran at the visitors defence before seeing his cross somehow scooped over the crossbar by their keeper. Four minutes from time the home side took the lead when a GEORGE CARTER-KNIGHT shot deflected into the goal off Billy Drever for what looked like being the winner. How ever deep into injury time a controversial end when Ed Hatt cleared the ball off the line from a BILLY DREVER header only for the Assistant to indicate the ball was over the line, though even some of their players were surprised at the award of the goal.  So a point a piece, but two dropped from the Cowes point of view in what was probably far and away the worst performance seen by a Cowes side for some time.