Tuesday October 26th                The WESSEX League – Premier Division


played at Westwood Park                   Kick Off – 19:45                    Attendance – 212

Referee:- ROBERT WALCZAK                          Assistants – Ben Orton + Alistair Taylor

Team:- COWES SPORTS – Edward HATT, James WYKES (17), Jimmy MUMFORD, Jake WATSON, Callum CHASE (c), Jez CONWAY, Gareth BRICKNELL, Scott McFARLANE, Darren WILLIAMS (46), Aedan COODE (86), Ji NASH

Subs:- Morgan PERRIN (17), Jack BARSDELL (46), Max COSHELL (86) unused – Joe ADAMS, Jamie LININGTON g/k

Following the previous weekend’s last gasp equaliser from the Yachtsmen against Portland United the home side were in buoyant mood coming into this latest League fixture as they took on sixth placed Fareham Town who themselves had an excellent FA Vase victory on penalties against Jersey Bulls. So another tough fixture for Cowes Sports.

Four changes to the squad from the Portland game as Gareth Bricknell and Scott McFarlane came in for Connor Furmidge and Jaz Camara with new signing Joe Adams taking a seat on the bench along with Morgan Perrin who had been missing from the past three game due to work commitments.

A fairly even start to the game from both sides. Nine minutes elapsed before the first real attack. James Wykes sent in a cross from the right but a Fareham defender headed the ball out for a corner with Darren Williams lurking behind him. Fareham responded when Dan Bennett sent a cross in from the Fareham right which Ed Hatt punched away but the ball fell to Ryan Mackney whose low effort was held by the Cowes stopper. Charlie Cooper then won the ball back for the visitors before crossing from their right and Calum Benfield glanced his header wide of goal. Cowes were dealt a blow on 17 minutes when James Wykes had to be replaced due to injury with Morgan Perrin coming on. Fareham took the lead on 23 minutes when CALLUM BENFIELD’S low shot beat Ed Hatt. Undeterred by this setback the Yachtsmen went in search of an equaliser. Gareth Bricknell’s low cross deflected off a defender and had Jon Webb scrambling across the face of goal but only a corner resulted. In the 26th minute Aedan Coode’s low corner to the near edge of the six yard box found DARREN WILLIAMS whose half volley found the back of the Fareham net to deservedly level the scores. Both teams seemed content to play out the remainder of the first half without threatening the opponents goal. So at the break the scores were level at a goal apiece. H-t 1 – 1 

Another blow for the Yachtsmen at the start of the second half as Darren Williams had to be replaced by Jack Barsdell due to a knee injury. In the 49th minute Ed Hatt produce a fantastic one handed save to deny Fareham regaining the lead before Jake Watson cleared the rebound effort off the line. Just three minutes later and Jon Webb was called into action at the other end as he too produced a magnificent one handed save to deny Jack Barsdell his first Cowes goal. Jack Breed then saw his shot for the visitors deflect off Jake Watson and go for a corner from which Archie Willcox head the ball wide of target. Jack Barsdell then picked up a silly yellow card for a needless challenge on 23 minutes. Fareham’s Ben Rowthorn then saw his low shot saved by Ed Hatt. A quick break on 26 minutes saw Aedan Coode cross and Jack Barsdell lift his shot over the crossbar. On the half hour mark of the second half both side found themselves down to ten. Jack Barsdell received a second yellow card followed by red after a challenge on Mackenzie Hill on the half way line after the Referee spoke to his near side assistant whilst Makenzie Hill himself saw a straight red card following a challenge on Jez Conway in front of the away dugout. The crowd were then sent into raptures on 78 minutes when a cross from Aedan Coode flew across the face of the Fareham goal, Scott McFarlane raced after the ball before giving it to JI NASH ten yards from goal, he turned their skipper, Garry Moody and sent a left foot shot past Jon Webb into the net. A couple of minutes later and as the ball went out of play on the half way line Garry Moody appeared to take a swipe at Ji Nash who was hit in the face, but no action was taken as the Assistant said he had not seen when the video shows he was watching. More controversy on 41 minutes when Ji Nash raced into the Fareham box only to be barged in the back by Archie Willcox as he chased back. Ji went to ground and with the crowd calling for a penalty Referee Robert Walczak booked the Cowes forward for simulation, obviously he was in no position to see the contact made by the defender. If that was not enough as the game entered injury time Callum Chase cleared a ball from inside the box and at the same time Ryan Mackney appeared to kick the Cowes defenders foot. The Referee deemed this to be a penalty. Archie Willcox stepped up to take the spot kick but a brilliant stop from Ed Hatt low to his right sent the ball away for a corner. However from that resulting corner ARCHIE WILLCOX made up for his penalty miss as he headed home from around eight yards to equalise a rescue a point from the game.

For the second consecutive game very late drama to the match and a injury time equaliser to rescue a point, one for the home side and one for the opponents.