Wednesday September 29th  The WESSEX League – Premier Division


played at the PMC Stadium                Kick Off – 19:30                 Attendance – 76

Referee:- GEORGE REDFORD                      Assistants – Ryan Thomas + Sean Ridley

Team:- COWES SPORTS – Jamie LININGTON, Mitchell RICKETTS, Dominic SEXTON (78), Jez CONWAY, Morgan PERRIN, Scott McFARLANE (53), James WYKES (c), Darren WILLIAMS, Connor FURMIDGE (58), Aedan COODE, Ji NASH

Subs:- Tommy JACKSON (53), Mark ROBERTSON (58), Max COSHELL (78), unused – Daniel PEARSON, Edward HATT

The final game of September saw the Yachtsmen travel to Portsmouth to take on Baffins Milton Rovers who were unbeaten in the league up to this point and the Islanders did not have a good record against their hosts.

With Manager Max Draper still self isolating, Alex Smith took charge, returning after illness himself. John McKie, Conor White, Ewan Cranwell, Finley Phillips, Callum Pye-Poulter, Isaac Cruise, Jimmy Mumford, Callum Chase and Ben Tickner were all unavailable for various reasons, mainly injury meant call ups for Max Coshell, Daniel Pearson and Tommy Jackson to add to the squad used at Hamble Club. Former Yachtsmen players Ed Sanders and Alex Przespolewski were included in the Baffins squad.

An even start to the game. Oscar Johnston fired a low shot that Jamie Linington saved well on four minutes. James Wykes then cut inside but sent his shot over the bar. In the 21st minute George Britton blazed over the bar for Baffins. Again the Island side responded as Connor Furmidge forced Baffins keeper, Konrad Syzmniak to stretch to save his effort, which appeared to go for a corner but the Assistant on the stand side was not up with play to see. On the half hour the home side took the lead when MILES EVERTT was given time and space on the edge of the Cowes box to send his shot into the left corner of the goal. Two minutes later and the lead was doubled when RUDI BRANKSON fired home from 18 yards despite looking offside. In the 37th minute Darren Williams went down inside the Baffins area  but the Referee was not interested in the penalty appeals. Rudi Branksome sent a shot wide of target for the home side before James Wykes nearly capitalised on a mistake by the home keeper who just managed to recover. H-t 2 – 0 

Two minutes into the second half a third goal was added as RUDI BRANKSON headed home from 6 yards. Three soon became four as a long ball wide to George Britton saw the Baffins wide man cross for MILES EVERETT side foot past Jamie Linington from close in. Cowes brought Tommy Jackson on in place Scott McFarlane. Home defender Lee Molyneaux then put in a superb block to send Darren Williams effort out for a corner. Mark Robertson replaced Connor Furmidge meaning Darren Williams pushing up front. A 66th minute Aedan Coode free kick was headed over the bar by James Wykes. A 70th minute short corner was crossed to the back post where MILES EVERETT blasted home from 8 yards for number 5. That became six in the 75th minute when sub ALEX PRZESPOLEWSKI  side footed home a cross from the Cowes left. Dominic Sexton was then forced off with an injury to add to the Islanders problems. Cowes continued to battle and were unlucky not to score  in the 82nd minute when a James Wykes effort was superbly pushed over the bar by the home keeper. From the resulting short corner Aedan Coode crossed and TOMMY JACKSON met the ball with a powerful header to send it into the left corner of the home goal. The joy was short lived as Baffins added a seventh goal when OSCAR JOHNSTON netted. Mark Robertson picked up a late yellow card for a challenge on the half way line as the Yachtsmen were well beaten by a very good Baffins side that I am sure will be there or there about’s at the end of the season.