Saturday March 26th                       The WESSEX League – Premier Division


played at Arlebury Park         Kick Off – 15:00                Attendance – 44

Referee:- John Foster            Assistants – Michael Ridge & Jonathan Ainslie

An away trip for the Yachtsmen to Alresford for a typical “end of season” match on , like many are at this stage of the season, a bobbly pitch. Once again injuries, suspension and non availability meant more changes to the team EIGHT changes to the squad from the bore draw against Christchurch with Jack Barsdell(suspended). James Wykes(injured), Ji Nash(injured) Gareth Bricknell and Darren Williams (Reserves) and Josh Appell(W&B game)missing from the starting XI whilst Ben Tickner(birthday) and Billy Backshall(Reserves) not on the bench. Into the line up came Harrison Dempsey, Joseph Adams, Tommy Jackson, Ewan Cranwell, skipper Finley Phillips and Scott McFarlane whilst Aedan Coode returned from holiday and was joined on the bench by Adam Voller and newly signed, i6 year old Teddy Mumford.

Team:- COWES SPORTS – Edward HATT, Harrison DEMPSEY, Jimmy MUMFORD, Henry WEST, Tommy JACKSON (55), Joseph ADAMS (46), James FLUX, Ewan CRANWELL, Jez CONWAY (67), Finley PHILLIPS (c), Scott McFARLANE

Subs:- Adam VOLLER (46), Teddy MUMFORD (55), Aedan COODE (67)

Buoyed by a couple of midweek wins the home side started brightly and should have taken the lead as early as the 6th minute when a corner from the Cowes right found A. Demira who somehow managed to put the ball over the bar from five yards out. Another cross from the right found S Shepherd at the far post but his volley also sailed well over the bar. Having survived the early pressure could have taken the lead themselves on 22 minutes when a superb Fin Phillips cross from the Cowes left picked out Harrison Dempsey at the far post who looked certain to score but his shot was superbly blocked by home keeper M. Bowman to keep his side level. Alresford continued to show more intent and eventually made their pressure tell when they took the lead in the 41st minute as ALHIE MAHON was allowed time on the edge of the Cowes area to place the ball off the left hand post into the goal. H-t 1 – 0 

Adam Voller, on his return from a broken leg early in the season, replaced Joseph Adams at the start of the second half and immediately looked lively for the Yachtsmen. Ten minutes into the half Tommy Jackson was taken off with 16 year old Teddy Mumford coming on for his debut. The Islander nearly equalised a minute later when Henry West volleyed over having met a James Flux free kick. Cowes equalised in the 20th minute in unusual style when Fin Phillips laid the ball back on the right touchline to TEDDY MUMFORD whose first time cross drifted over the head of the home keeper and into the right side of their goal. What a start to his senior career scoring ten minutes into his debut. Aedan Coode came on in place of Jez Conway. Alresford regained the lead in the 68th minute again in bizarre circumstances as ALFIE MAHON sent in a cross from the Cowes left touchline which keeper Ed Hatt lost in the sun, the ball hit the left upright and went in. Perhaps a cap should have been worn by both keepers?? On 73 minutes the points were secured by the home team when another cross from their left again saw the Cowes stopper lose sight of the ball and he dropped the ball for J. Parker-Trott to roll the ball into the path of S. SHEPHERD who had the easiest opportunity to add a third goal. The final 17 minutes passed without much threat to either goal and only a rash challenge on Ewan Cranwell earning Alresford substitute, N. McKinlay-Burke the only yellow card of the game. Special mention for the Match Officials who had an excellent game throughout.