SYDENHAMS FOOTBALL LEAGUE(WESSEX) Premier Division                                                             Saturday September 26th 2020                                                                                        FLEET TOWN 6 v 1 COWES SPORTS                                  played at Calthorpe Park                  Kick Off 3pm                             Attendance – 129  Referee:- Garry Hodgkinson  Assistants – Safwan Mohammed + Harry Warner

The Yachstmen made the long journey up the M3 to Calthorpe Park, home of Fleet Town who were fust a couple of places above in the table with one point from their three league games so far with the Yachtsmen yet to get off the mark from two games. A close encounter was expected. With Jared Wetherick and Conor White not making the trip, Aarun Ince and George Holmes came into the starting XI with younsters Jimmy Mumford and Jaime White were joined on the bench by Brandon Couling.


Edward Hatt, James Wykes, Scott McFarlane, Aaron Burford, Callum Chase (c), Lewis Wright(68), Aidan Radford, Finley Phillips, George Holmes, Alex Wright(57), Aarun Ince, Subs; Jimmy Mumford (68), Jamie White, Brandon Couling(57)

Kicking up the slope in the first half, the home side set about Cowes from the start and took the lead just eight minutes in when a shot from 20 yards by their number 10 found the right corner of the Cowes goal. The islanders responded and on 11 minutes nearly equalised when James Wykes’ cross from the right saw George Holmes flick the ball towards goal but the home keeper just managed to gather the ball on the line. A minute later the home side doubled their lead when number 11 was gifted a free shot at goal which he buried with ease. Again Cowes responded well but were unlucky when Aidan Radfords 17th mninute cross caused panic in the home defence before an attempted clearance bounced off adefender onto the crossbar before their keeper grabbed the ball. Ed Hatt was then called into action as a long throw was headed towards goal, but the Cowes stopper tipped the ball over the bar. A third Fleet goal came on 19 minutes when a free kick was well blocked by Ed Hatt but number seven took advantage of a static Cowes backline to fire home from close in. Cowes were left stunned by what had hit them but tried to find a way back into the game, however both Aidan Radford and Alex Wright saw their shots saved by the home keeper. A 34th minute cross from Fleet hit Scott McFarlane’s hand and Referee Garry Hodgkinson pointed to the spot, a rather harsh decision against the Cowes left back. BILLY ORAM stepped up to send Ed Hatt the wrong way and net a fourth goal for the North Hampshire side.  A glimmer of hope for the Island side came five minutes before the break when a low cross from Aarun Ince found its way to the right side of the goal where GEORGE HOLMES netted from six yards.Feet’s number 9 then saw his shot beaten away by Ed Hatt before in injury time James Wykes was released down the right by Callum Chase he beat the advancing keeper but the ball rolled inches wide of the right hand post. Had that gone in Cowes’ hopes for the second half would have been lifted.

H-t 4 – 1 

Five minutes into the second half ten sent a long range effort just wide of the goal before a couple of chances for the Islanders saw Aidan Radford head a Aarun Ince cross wide of goal before Aarun himself sent a shot a couple of feet over the bar. Brandon Couling replaced Alex Wright for the visitors whilst the home side also made a change. A 66th minute Fleet corner from their left appeared to be cleared but the Assitant had raised his flag, the ref went and spoke to his Assistant before yellow carding Ed Hatt and giving a second penalty to the home side which left most in the ground stunned as noting untoward had appeared to happen and the home side certainly did not appeal for a spot kick. BILLY ORAM again stepped up to send the Cowes keeper the wrong way. Both sides made a change as 16 year old Jimmy Mumford replaced Lewis Wright for the visitors. The youngster  almost made a instant impact as a Cowes corner was cleared by the home defence to fiv ea or so yards outside the box wher Jimmy pounced to send an audacious chip just wide of the home goal. Aarun Ince became the second Cowes player to have his name taken for a foul that had the home bench calling out for a card to be given. Finley Phillips then saw an effort fly wide of goal before EdHatt produced a greta one handed save to deny their sub(14). Seconds later Ed Hatt pulled off a double save the first with a strong hand before blocking the follow up with his feet. However from the resulting corner Fleet’s skipper headed home a sixth goal. A late Callum Chase challenge just outside the area saw him yellow carded and from the free kick Ed Hatt agian pushed the ball over the bar.

So a bad day at the office for the Islanders which I think can be put down to a bit of a hangover from the hard FA Cup match played earlier in the week. After the game it was found out that throughout some of the home crowd that were gathered behind the Cowes goal had been racially abusing the Yachtsmen’s skipper. This has been reported by the Match Officials to the appropriate authorities who will be investigating.