Saturday February 26th 2022          The WESSEX League – Premier Division


played at Westwood Park                      Kick Off – 15:00                   Attendance – 135

Referee:- Derek Pratt                              Assistants – Ben Orton & Keyson Colebrook

A tough fixture for the Yachtsmen as League leaders Hamworthy United were the visitors to Westwood Park for the first of two consecutive Saturday games between the two sides Following his passing out ceremony Jimmy Wykes returned to first team action and with Conor White still suffering from the eye injury he picked up in the previous game Joe Adams started at right back whilst Gareth Bricknell was drafted into the midfield. On a statistical note JEZ CONWAY played his 200th game for Cowes Sports FC

Team:- COWES SPORTS :- Edward HATT, Joseph ADAMS (57), James WYKES, Henry WEST, Jake WATSON, Gareth BRICKNELL, Finley PHILLIPS (c), Jimmy MUMFORD (89), Jez CONWAY (68). John McKIE, Ji NASH

Subs:- Jack BARSDELL (57), Aedan COODE (68), George HOLMES (89)

It was the home side that had the first chance of the game in the 5th minute when a curling John McKie effort from the left edge of the area had visiting keeper Shane Murphy stretching to push the ball past the post for a corner. Five minutes later and Hamworthy should have taken the lead when a Eddie Hodge corner from the Cowes right picked out Jack Lovell at the far post but somehow the Hammers forward managed to head the ball over the crossbar from inside the six yard box. On 15 minutes Ji Nash’s free kick from the right was swung in towards goal but was gathered by Shane Murphy whose quick thinking saw his clearance nearly caught out the Cowes defence but Ed Hatt was out of his area to head the ball out for a throw. The home stopper was again in action when a James Filkins pass saw Eddie Hodge through on goal but Hatt done well to save with his feet. The visitors finally took the lead in the 29th minute when a long punt upfield by Shan Murphy was not dealt with by the Cowes defence and JACK LOVELL took full advantage to smash the ball into the goal. Gareth Bricknell was then upended in their penalty area but the Referee waved play on despite the Cowes appeals. Ed Hatt was having a great first half and produced a brilliant double save just before the break from successive Harvey Wright headers following a Eddie Hodge free kick though had a goal resulted the Assistants flag was raised so would not of counted. H-t 0 – 1 

Cowes appeared to grow in confidence and take the game to Hamworthy a bit more in the second half. Though it was the league leaders that came close to a second goal when a Eddie Hodge shot felled skipper Fin Phillips, the loose ball led to a bit of a scramble before the ball ricochet upwards and just over the bar. A last ditch tackle then denied Cameron Munn before a Jamie Filkins free kick cleared the bar. John McKie then put Jimmy Mumford through but his low shot drew a good save from Shane Murphy. On 70 minutes John McKie latched onto a long Ed Hatt goal kick but his curling effort from the left edge of the box went inches the wrong side of the post as far as the home side were concerned. Finally The Hammers made sure of the points with a quarter of an hour remaining. A good build up saw Cameron Munn win possession just inside the Cowes half, the ball was played through to substitute Jamie Beasley who then found Jack Lovell whose attempted  shot was horrendously miscued but luckily for the visitors picked out MAX WILCOX in the centre of goal just a few yards out and he slotted the ball to the right of Ed Hatt into the goal. In the last minute George Holmes came on for Jimmy Mumford who had worked tirelessly for the cause as had the rest of the side without anything to show for their efforts.

Once again though the Yachtsmen showed they can mix it with the big sides and make them work hard to get a result but again it was Cowes that came away from the game with no points to show for their efforts.

Cowes Sports mid week trip to FAREHAM TOWN fell foul of the weather on Tuesday as rain from mid afternoon onwards saw the game postponed and this has now been rearranged for Tuesday April 5th.