Match Report: Cowes Sports 0 v 1 Lymington Town

Assistants – Andy Jones + Luke Pierce

A re-arranged League fixture against Lymington Town was fitted in due to both sides not being involved in the F A Cup. The visitors have made a steady start to the season with one win and two draws from their three League games, all away from home due to their pitch being unavailable until September(Cricket), so another stern test for Steve Hunts side.

Leigh Makenzie and Ewan Cranwell both returned after missing the mid-week defeat whilst George Turner and Ollie McArthur replaced Callum Chase and Darren Williams who both dropped to the bench.

A bright start for the home side saw George Turner torment the Lymington number three into conceding a 11th minute penalty, given by the Assistant Referee Luke Pierce. Despite Lymington’s centre half, Stephen Walker giving a lot of verbals towards the Assistant and Referee, no card was shown. Connor Furmidge stepped up but blazed his spot kick well over the crossbar as a golden opportunity was missed to take the lead. Minutes later and Cowes should have been made to pay for the miss when Ewan Cranwell lost possession near the half way line but the visitors number nine lobbed the ball over the advancing Ed Hatt but also the crossbar as well. For the next twenty five minutes neither side really created much until the 40th minute when a superb cross from in front of the main stand to the far post area found STEPHEN WALKER whose diving header flew over Ed Hatt into the net to give the New Forest side a somewhat undeserved half time lead.

H-t 0 – 1

The Yachtsmen could have found themselves two down five minutes into the second half when through ball found 9 in on goal, but credit to Ed Hatt who closed the forward down forcing him to take a heavy touch and take the ball over the bye-line for a goal kick. Cowes responded as Connor Furmidge burst through their defence into the left side of the area, Ross Bottomley came out and brought him down for what looked a stonewall penalty, but amazingly Referee Tim Godfray awarded a free kick to Lymington and booked Connor for “diving”. When asked about the booking after the game the explanation was “ their was minimal contact and he went down too easily “, “ so there was contact ?“ , “ Yes “. Question being, Why would Connor go down so easily when he had beaten the keeper and had an open goal??? After the match Town’s keeper Ross Bottomley admitted that he thought it was definitely a penalty. Once again inconsistency from match Officials!!! Ewan Cranwell was replaced by Darren Williams in a bid to find the much needed equaliser. Max Draper saw his goal-bound shot parried away by their keeper before Callum Chase came on for Leigh Mackenzie. The last big chance of the game came in the final minute when a Connor Furmidge corner from the left found the head of Aidan Bryan but his header flew two foot wide of the left hand post as the three points travelled back to the mainland with Lymington.
A disappointing and very frustrating afternoon for the Yachtsmen as once again Cowes were the better side but come away with nothing.



COWES SPORTS – Ed Hatt, Max Draper, Jason Malcolmson, Aidan Bryan, Craig Insley (c), Ewan Cranwell(replaced by Darren Williams 66 B), Leigh Mackenzie(replaced by Callum Chase 85), George Turner B, Connor Furmidge B, Oliver McArthur, Gareth Bricknell, Subs not used; James Wykes, Sam Sanders, Dave Thurman g-k

LYMINGTON TOWN – Ross Bottomley, Ross Casey, Owen Fee, Samuel House, Nathan Hurst, Ashley Jarvis, Jake Long, Nicholas Magee, Thomas Man, Zac Pickett, Stephen Walker, Subs; Jack Odam, Ryan Fuller, Charlie Willett