COWES SPORTS v Brockenhurst 24-08-19

Saturday 24th August 2019 – SYDENHAMS FOOYBALL LEAGUE(WESSEX) Premier Division



Referee:- STEVE CURRIE  Assistants – Jamie Saltzer + Joe McCormack

played at Westwood Park  Attendance – 98

The Islanders came into this re-arranged League fixture full of confidence following their mid-week Hampshire cup victory at Fawley, in contrast Brockenhurst had lost their mid-week cup game.

Two changes for the Yachtsman see Ewan Cranwell and Connor Furmidge replace Ashley Brett and Ji Nash. Problems before kick off as the Match Referee, Daniel Batchelor failed to appear(he suggested that he had not been notified???) so Steve Currie stepped in to Referee the game and Joe McCormack stepped in to become the second Assistant.


Edward Hatt, Conor White, Dominic Sexton, Ewan Cranwell, Aidan Bryan, Jez Conway, Scott McFarlane, Gareth Bricknell (c), Connor Furmidge, Michael McEnery, James Wykes, Subs: Samuel Kirby, Aarun Ince, Isaac Cruise, Joe McCormack g/k

An early corner for Cowes from in front of the clubhouse saw Connor Furmidge volley wide of the near post. Shortly after and the home side created another chance with the help of their visitors as Brockenhurst failed to clear the danger and Connor Furmidge saw his effort take a deflection of a defender, hit the left hand post and bounce into the hands of their keeper. The New Forest side had their first chance of the game after five minutes but the Will Tickle’s shot flew over the bar into the gardens behind the goal. Brad McGookin then shot from well outside the area which never troubled Ed Hatt in the Cowes goal before Rafa Ramos headed wide following a cross. Gareth Bricknell then ran at their defence before his shot was blocked by Jon Webb in the Brock’ goal. Ewan Cranwell was then muscled off the ball by Rafa Ramos who fired across goal and wide of Ed Hatt’s left hand post. Twenty five minutes in and the New Forest side took the lead when a ball over the top saw BEN KEMPLEN muscle his way through before firing past Ed Hatt into the net. Will Tickle then fired against the left hand post as Cowes struggled to cope with their forward play. Just past the half hour mark and Cowes were given the opportunity to level the scores when Gareth Bricknell’s shot was handled by Zac Pickett. EWAN CRANWELL marched forward to take the spot kick and calmly sent Jon Webb the wrong way to equalise. On the stroke of half time James Wykes fired wide after Dom Sexton’s cross from the left caused problems for the Brock’ defence.

Two minutes into the second half ands James Wykes was sent towards goal but blasted over the bar. Just two minutes later and the Yachtsmen were again behind as RAFA RAMOS ran at the Cowes defence twisted and turned before curling a shot into the far right corner to restore their lead. Aarun Ince replaced Connor Furmidge before James Wykes was booked for a foul on the half way line. In the 55th minute Cowes were again on level terms when Michael McEnery headed on a long clearance JAMES WYKES raced onto the ball before slipping it under their keeper into the net. Three minutes later Gareth Bricknell set up James Wykes who lifted the ball over their keeper but unfortunately over the goal as well. tom Sykes then sent a long range effort just wide of the Cowes goal before mid way through the half Brockenhurst again took the lead when RAFA RAMOS was aloud to run through the Cowes defence before smashing the ball into the goal. Aidan Bryan limped off with a hamstring injury, Callum Chase came on. Fifteen minutes from time the game was settled when TOM SYKES fired a spectacular effort into the goal from 35 yards at least. Cowes complained about an offside in the build up to the goal but the officials were not interested. Sam Kirby came on for the final 12 minutes replacing Jez Conway. Aarun Ince then saw a cross come off a defender but Ewan Cranwell out his header wide of goal in the final moments of the game.