Match Report – Longlevens v COWES SPORTS 12-10-19

Saturday October 12th – BUILDBASE F A VASE 1st Rd Proper

LONGLEVENS 1(0)  COWES SPORTS 0(0) after extra time

played at Sawmills Lane  Attendance – 70


Referee:- To Follow

Following their victory over Wessex One side Verwood Town(7 – 3), the Islanders were drawn away to Hellenic Premier Division side Longlevens, who sat mid table with four wins and six defeats in their ten league games so far this season.

Youngsters, Scott McFarlane and Aiden White(MoM for the previous two games), were both dropped to the bench for this tie as well as Ashley Brett being unavailable. Michael McEnery, Ewan Crawell and Morgan Perrin returning to the starting line up. Joseph White joined the two teenagers on the bench, as did reserve keeper Joseph McCormack who could be used as the fourth substitute if the game went to extra time.

After a two and a quarter hour journey from Southampton the destination in Gloucester was reached, a flat pitch next to a hotel although limited parking.


Edward Hatt, Conor White, Dominic Sexton, Ewan Cranwell, Callum Chase, Morgan Perrin, Finley Phillips, Gareth Bricknell (c), Michael McEnery, Jez Conway, James Wykes, Subs; Aiden White, Scott McFarlane, Joseph White, Joseph McCormack g/k

The home sides Josh Watts had the first serious attempt at goal but his effort sailed wide of Ed Hatt’s left hand post. Cowes responded in the 9th minute when Michael McEnery fed Jez Conway who curled the ball towards the top left of the Longlevens goal only to see it fly over the bar. two minutes later roles were reversed when Jez Conway found Michael McEnery who saw his cross shot from right to left go wide of the left hand post. Ben Williams was booked for a foul on James Wykes, he was followed into the book by Ewan Cranwell, before Ed Hatt saved a shot from Josh Watts, who looked lively in the early stages of the game. Twenty five minutes in and Lee Martin set up Josh Watts but he drove the ball wide of the target. Just before the half hour mark Jez Conway laid the ball to Gareth Bricknell about 25 yards from the goal and towards the left of the box. the Cowes skipper’s strike cannoned of the left upright and went out for a goal kick. James Wykes then saw his dipping shot hit the top of the net before the same player saw his shot blocked by Ryan Dunn then the rebound saved by Ash Wintle in the home goal as the stalemate remained at the break.

Cowes began the second half on the front foot knowing they were capable of winning this tie. Dom Sexton sent in a cross from the left which Michael McEnery headed towards goal forcing their keeper to dive low to his left to save. Gareth Bricknell then had a free kick deflected for a corner. In the 65th minute Dom Sexton was replaced by Aiden White having suffered an a slight knock. Then a quick throw to Gareth Bricknell saw him play the ball over the home defence to Michael McEnery whose shot was parried away for a corner by the home keeper. Having been booked Morgan Perrin was taken of with Scott McFarlane replacing him. James Wykes then had the chance to open the scoring but blazed the ball into the hotel car park behind the goal. The only action for the remainder of the half was Fin Phillips being booked for a foul as the game finished goalless after ninety minutes meaning a further thirty minutes would be played.

For the first 15 minutes neither side really looked like scoring with the only effort at goal coming in the 101st minute from Longlevens Harry Emmett.

Cowes took of striker Michael McEnery for the second period of extra time, bringing on Joe White. The home side looked the more likely to score as one of their substitutes headed a free kick over the bar from four yards before Ed Hatt saved a Harry Emmett shot with his right hand. With the game heading for a penalty shoot out one final attack from the home side saw a cross from the right loop towards the right side of the Cowes area where TOMMY CALLINAN ghosted in behind Joe White to slide the ball past Ed Hatt’s left hand into the corner of the goal to send the home crowd jumping for joy knowing that Cowes had very little time to reply. The final couple of minutes were played out and it would be Longlevens who would enter the draw for the next round and Cowes were left with a long journey home.

A very evenly matched game was played in good sportsmanship and the hospitality shown to the players and supporters was magnificent. Cowes would like to wish their hosts all the best in the next round and for the remainder of the season.

FOOTNOTE:- In the draw for the 2nd Round proper Longlevens were drawn away to Falmouth.