Match Report COWES SPORTS v Lymington Town 19-11-19

Tuesday November 19th – SYDENHAMS FOOTBALL LEAGUE (WESSEX) Premier Division


played at Westwood Park  Attendance – 88

Referee:- Martin Bloor  Assistants – Steve Currie + Andy Jones


Following their defeat against Bournemouth, Cowes Sports were in mid week league action at home to Lymington Town who had beaten the Island side earlier in the season in the F A Cup.

Once again changes had to be made as both Fin Phillips and Ewan Cranwell were unavailable as was Ashley Brett whilst Fraser Law dropped to the bench as Ed Hatt returned in goal. Dom Sexton came in at left back with Aiden White moving up to midfield and Aidan Bryan and Joe White started in central defence and Ji Nash up front, along with the surprise inclusion of Tom Dye. Chris Elliott was also on the bench.


Edward Hatt, Conor White, Dominic Sexton, Joe White, Aidan Bryan (c), Ben Snow, Tom Dye, Aiden White, Ji Nash, Michael McEnery, James Wykes

Subs; Darren Williams, Scott McFarlane, Chris Elliott, Aedan Coode, Fraser Law

A lack lustre start to the game from both sides, Ji Nash had the ball in the Lymington net early on , but a offside flag ruled the ‘goal’ out. Ji Nash then turned provider as he set up Conor White who sent his effort wide of goal. In the 20th minute a ball into the visitors box saw Michael McEnery turn his marker then clip the ball over Ross Casey in the Linnets goal. Some of the crowd started cheering the home side taking the lead, but from Marcus Allen appeared from out of the blue to somehow clear the ball off the goal line injuring himself in the process. Luke Churchill was replaced by Tyrone Carkeet for the Linnets before the break as a dull first half finished goal less.

Early in the second half Dominic Falco had a shot blocked by Ed Hatt before being booked for a nasty foul on Cowes skipper Aidan Bryan. Five minutes into the half and Lymington took the lead when a cross from their right was turned into the net by SAM HOUSE to break the deadlock. The goal scorer was then replaced by Steve Flynn whist Ben Snow was forced off with a groin injury, Chris Elliott coming on. In the 55th minute the visitors doubled their advantage when Joe White missed a clearance leaving STEVE FLYNN with only Ed Hatt to beat which he did with ease. Joe was again in the thick of the action in the 72nd minute when he put in a great tackle just outside his own box, their player went down and the Referee was conned into giving a free kick to Lymington and a yellow card to the Cowes defender. The resulting free kick hit the outside of the right hand upright going out for a goal kick. Another soft free kick was given to Lymington when Conor White won the ball on the right, the ball was sent into the Cowes area where TIM STEPHENSON glanced his header past Ed Hatt for number three in the 81st minute before a fourth was added three minutes from time when TYRONNE CARKEET side footed the ball into the Cowes goal with keeper Ed Hatt unsighted.

Further bad news for the Islanders as Solent University beat Portland United 4 – 3 which drops the Yachtsmen down to 19th in the table.