Saturday October 3rd 2020


played at Westwood Park                                                Kick Off – 15:00                                    Attendance – 143

Referee:- Rado Iliev  Assistants – Stephen Currie + Jamie Saltzer

The Islanders came into this League fixture following a couple of heavy defeats against Weston Super Mare and Fleet Town, but were still in a confident mood. Ewan Cranwell was missing due to a knee operation whilst John McKie and Conor White were also unavailable due to ongoing injury problems, though it was encouraging to see John taking part in some of the warm up sessions.


Edward Hatt, James Wykes, Brandon Couling(70), Scott McFarlane, Callum Chase (c), Aaron Burford, Aidan Radford( 80), Lewis Wright, Jared Wetherick, Finley Phillips, Alex Wright, Subs- Jimmy Mumford(70), George Holmes, Aarun Ince(80)

Upon the first whistle from Referee Rado Iliev all players and Officials took to the knee in support of the Black Lives Matter campaign, with regard to the disgraceful actions and words that were directed at out Captain last week at Fleet Town.

With the second whistle from the Match Official the game kicked off. A couple of early chances for the home side saw Alex Wright play the ball into Jared Wetherick whose lay off found Aidan Radford, but his shot was blocked by Jack Martin in the Tadley goal before shortly after Aaron Burford headed wide from a corner. A through ball down the middle found  visitors striker Josh Drew bearing down on Ed Hatts goal, but a poor touch saw the Cowes stopper make an easy save, but the home side did not heed the warning. On 11 minutes Jimmy Wykes broke down the right, beat his marker with ease before passing the ball to Finley Phillips who turn before sending his shot over the bar. A minute later and another ball through the middle caught Cowes wide open. Aaron Burford had to come across and in trying to play the ball he brought Josh Drew down as he raced towards goal. Referee, Rado Iliev had no opption but to produce a red card for the Cowes center half. Jared Wetherick dropped into center half with Aidan Radford pushing up front for the remaining 78 minutes. Again though the home side did not learn from their mistake as in the 24th minute another through ball down the middle again saw JOSH DREW heading towards the Cowes goal. Ed Hatt came racing out but this time the Tadley striker knocked the ball past the Cowes No 1 before gleefully rolling it into the empty net to give the visitors the lead. Cowes nearly found an equaliser in the 26th minute when Aidan Radford’s cross was tipped away by Jack Martin who was happy to see one of his teamamtes just beat Alex Wright to the lose ball to clear. Shemarr Pettitt the really should have doubled the lead but sent a free header wide of the Cowes goal. Just past the half hour though , the lead was doubled when Jared Wetherick pick up a lose ball wide on the left, but could only watch in horror as his pass back towards Ed Hatt only found Josh Drew who rolled the ball into the path of JAMIE JOHNSTON who smashed the ball into the net.  So it was the visitors who held a comfortable lead at the break.

H-t 0 – 2 

The second half began with Lewis Wright cautioned for pulling back a Tadley player just inside his own half. Then worse for the Yachtsmen, Jimmy Wykes , trying to let the ball run out for a goal kick , was robbed by the byeline by JAMIE JOHNSTON who turned a fired past Ed Hatt for a third goal. In between a couple of substitutions by the visitors Ed Hatt made a great save to deny Josh Drew a second goal. Cowes repalced Brandon Couling in the 70th minute with Aarun Ince, Scott Mc Farlane dropping back to left back, but within a minute the home side found themselves four down when IMMANUEL SOETAN fired home from 25 yards after picking up a loose ball in midfield. A simple shoulder to shoulder tackle on 78 minutes ten yards from the Cowes area saw skipper Callum Chase receive a very harsh yellow card given the fact that other similar challenges had not been punished, probably the one poor decision the Referee made in the game. Arrun Ince then replaced Aidan Raford for the final ten minutes but the game was gone form the Cowes point of view and the Yachtsmen remain pointless and rooted to the bottom of the table.