SYDENHAMS FOOTBALL LEAGUE(WESSEX) – Premier Division                                                                Tuesday October 6th 2020                                                                                                  AFC STONEHAM 3 v 1 COWES SPORTS                                       Played at Stoneham Lane Football Complex          Kick Off – 19:15          Attendance – 78   Referee:- Michael Hurdle    Assistants – David Coles + Thomas McGhee                                                                                                                                                                                                            Cowes Sports made the journey across the Solent to take on AFC Stoneham at the Hampshire FA run, Stoneham Lane Football Complex which has three 4G pitches so the rain that fell for parts of the game did not affect the pitch conditions. Due to ferry restrictions and changes to the timetable the game the match kicked off at 7:15pm and Cowes Sports would like to thank their hosts for agreeing to the earlier start. The Purps, as they are nicknamed due to there Purple kit, had already lost three of there four league games so far this season including a 2 – 3 defeat three days earlier at home to Hamworthy United, whilst the Yachtsmen had yet to pick up a point themselves so on a damp evening an interesting game was in prospect. Morgan Perrin replaced Aaron Burford(holiday), Aarun Ince came in for Aidan Radford(unavailable) and Jez Conway replaced Alex Wright(ill), Mitch Ricketts drafted in for the bench.


Edward Hatt, James Wykes, Brandon Couling(46), Morgan Perrin, Callum Chase (c), Jared Wetherick, Scott McFarlane, Lewis Wright(68), Jez Conway, Finley Phillips, Aarun Ince, Subs:- Mitchell Ricketts, Jimmy Mumford(46), George Holmes(68)

Early possession from the home team saw them create the first opportunity of the match in the 11th minute when a dangerous cross from our keft back area saw Matt Bainbridge lunging in but failing to get the vital touch to touch the ball into the goal. Then on 15 minutes shock horror for The Purps as it was the Island side that took the lead. A Finley Phillips corner from the right saw skipper CALLUM CHASE rise to head in from six yards or so possibly via a defelction off a defender. Matt Bainbridge sent a cross inside of left back Brandon Couling but Callum Laycock blazed the ball well over the bar when really he should have equalised for the hosts. However on 31 minutes the Southampton based side did find an equaliser as a corner from ther Cowes left was not cleared by the visitors defence before the ball fell to MATTHEW BAINBRIDGE who drilled the ball through players into the right corner of the Cowes goal. A minute later and Callum Laycock saw his header cannon off the crossbar before, in the 37th minute, the home side took the lead when the impressive RYAN PENNY smashed the ball over keeper Ed Hatt into the roof of the net from around 30 yards. to make things worse for the Yachtsmen a third goal was conceded three minutes fbefore half time when Brandon Couling was outpaced down the left and the cross was converted by SCOTT HILLS from 6 yards.  So a promising star had turned into a familiar pattern as the Island side failed to stop the home side from playing .

H-t 3 – 1 

A change at the start of the second half with 16 year old Jimmy Mumford relacing Brandon Couling also a change of formation with Jared Wetherick moving up front.Cowes looked more comfortable with the changes and began to cause problems for the home side. Nine minutes in and James Wykes sped down the right fed Jez Conway who in turn clipped the ball to Jared Wetherick whose effort hit the outside of Tom Parker-Trott’s left hand post. Within seconds agin the same upright came to Stoneham’s rescue this time Jimmy Mumford down the left, picked out Jez Conway whose shot also struck the left post. Another Cowes opportunity went beggong on 56 minutes when a throw from the right found Jez Conway, a neat turn and shot from him flew just wide of the target. Cowes were showing a lot more threat and confidence wqas growing, but the killer touch was not there. George Holmes was sent on in oplace of Lewis Wright in the 68th minute as the Yachtsmen pressed forward. Arrun Ince curled a shot just wide of the right hand postin the 75th minute. Callum Chase then cleared well on 77 minutes amid claims from the home side for a penalty for a foul, but no interest from the Match Officials. Dispite their best efforts the Island side could not find the net again so at the final whislte relief for the home side with a 3 – 1 victory for them.