SYDENHAMS FOOTBALL LEAGUE(WESSEX) – Premier Division       Saturday October 31st


played at Westwood Park                      Kick Off 15:00                            Attendance – 153

Referee:- Derek Pratt                                                              Assistants – Stephen Currie + Jamie Saltzer

Despite the disappointment of the very late decision to postpone last week’s fixture at Shaftesbury and the isolation of Manager Max Draper and his Assistant Alex Smith, the Yachtsmen came into this game full of confidence following their two victories against Portland United and AFC Porchester. Reserve Manager, Mark Randall stepped in to run the side with Aidan Bryan helping. Only one change saw to the line up saw Finley Phillips replace James Wykes.


Edward Hatt, Conor White, Jimmy Mumford, Morgan Perrin, Callum Chase (c), Aaron Burford, Scott McFarlane(79), Lewis Wright, Jez Conway, Alex Wright(63), Finley Phillips(63), Subs; John McKie(63), James Wykes(63), Aarun Ince(79), Aidan Radford, Mitchell Ricketts

A midfield battle for the early exchanges eventually saw Christchurch create the first chance of the game in the 8th minute when Luken Delaney made his way towards the bye line before seing Cowes keeper Ed Hatt block his shot away for a corner. Cowes reponded as a inch perfect crossfield pass by Alex Wright picked out Aaron Burford on the left edge of the Christchurch penalty area, his goalbound volley was just about scooped away for a corner by Lewis Gunstone-Gray in the visitors goal. The action continued at pace and Cowes were unfortuante to have a goal disalloweed in the 10th minute when an Aaron Burford cross saw Scott McFarlane jump to challenge their keeper who flapped and dropped the ball where Finley Phillips netted, however Referee harshly adjudged a foul was committed by Scott on the keeper. Far to protected these days!!!! A couple of minutes later Jimmy Mumford, pushing forward from left back, combined well with Alex Wright before seeing his shot saved, on the quarter of an hour a Akex Wright free kick into the six yard box was headed over the crossbar by defender Harvey Wright for a corner. The home side were on top at this point and continued to press forward as Alex Wright sent a shot wide of goal before Scott McFarlane had an effort blocked by the feet of Lewis Gunstone-Grey. Following all the pressure from the Yachtsmen on 22 minutes Christchurch broke forward and looked like they would score but Ed Hatt produced a great save to parry away from the line, though it would not have counted as the Assitants flag had been raised for offside. Ten minutes before the break Christchurch’s Luke Delaney disagreed with a with a decision and kicked the ball away for which he was sent to the sin bin for ten minutes unfortunately for the Island side they could not take advantage of their numerical advantage, the closest they came was a free kick by Lewis Wright from the left side of the area that folew into the chest of their keeper as the first half remaied goal less.

H-t 0 – 0 

Things turned bad for the Yachtsmen right at the start of the second half as within a minute Callum Chase luck harshly adjudged to have handled the ball when on the ground inside the area and a penalty was given from which ASHLEY POPE netted to give his side the lead. In fairness the Islanders responderd to this set back and Jez Conway looked to have equalised ibnt he 51st minute when he scored, but joy was short lived as he was adjudged to be offside. Just before the hour a swift Christchurch move ended with LUKE DELANEY firing home throught he legs of Ed Hatt to double the lead. Aaron Burford was then booked for a 50/50 challenge with their keeper before the introduction of John McKie and James Wykes in the 63rd minute replacing Alex Wright and Finley Phillips respectively. Any hopes of a Cowes comeback were dashed in the 74th minute when keeper Ed Hatt was sent off for kneeing Luke Delaney in the head according to the near side Assistant who did not see the foul committed by the Christchurch player on Morgan Perrin shortly before. Morgan went in goal but was unable to stop BILLY WALKER from adding a third goal from the spot kick. The visiting skipper was rather lucky not to be shown a card for persistant cheating and whinging, throughout the game every time Jez Conway went near him he threw himself to the ground to get a free kick whilst constantly whinging to the Referee even trying to get him to show a card to Jez. Perhaps he needs to grow up and realise its a man’s game!!! Aarun Ince came on for Scott McFarlane but despite being a man down Cowes played out the final 15 minutes without further problems.