HARWOODS ISLE OF WIGHT SATURDAY LEAGUE   Division One                                                              Saturday October 24th 2020

  • played at Westwood Park                                                                            Kick Off 14:00

Referee:- Matt Sainsbury

The Yachtsmen second string played host to Binstead COB having drawn 2 – 2 with the same side the previous weekend. Connor Furmidge and Gareth Bricknell were both missing through injury whislt the withdrawal of James Cheek meant that there was a call up for Aarun Ince who was supposed to be at Shaftesbury with the 1stXI, but that game had been postponed because of a waterlogged pitch at Cockrams with the side literally seconds from boarding the ferry to Southampton.


Fraser Law, Max Coshell, Bandon Couling(45), Ashley Brett (c), Mitchell Ricketts, Jamie White(68), Daniel Pearson, Ben Snow(14), Aarun Ince, Jason Ince, George Holmes, Subs – Dominic Sexton(14), Samuel Turner(45), Billy Pelosi(68)

Cowes started brightly and Aarun Ince’s 2nd minute cross was dropped into his goal by Tom McInnes in the Binstead goal under challenge by Jason Ince, but Referee Matt Sainsbury adjudged a foul on the visiting keeper and awared a free kick inside the six yard box. Tghe visitors first real attack saw Sam McInnes curl an effort into the hands of Fraser Law on 12 minutes before a blow for the home side as an injury to Ben Snow forced a change with Dominic Sexton coming on in his placeon the quarter of an hour. Two minutes later and the home side took the lead when Daniel Pearson’s deep corner from the left found skipper ASHLEY BRETT at the far post whose downward header found the back of the net. Aarun Ince, causing problems for the visiting defence sent in a teasing cross that Dan Pearson was inches away from touching the ball into the net. On 26 minutes Cowes Reserves doubled their lead when Daniel Pearson sent a crossshot in from the right of the area and AARUN INCE had the easiest of chances to net from 6 yards. At this point the home side looked very comfortable and likely to win the game quite handsomely, but Binstead had other idaes and in the 28th minute pulled a goal back when a cross from the Binstead left saw Fraser Law come off his line to collect but veteran JAMIE DYER nipped in to poke the ball into the net to give his side some hope. That hope was justified as four minutes later it was level again when a free kick from the right touchlinesaw an unmarked JAMIE DYER take full advantage of the space to volley the ball over Fraser Law into the goal. Aarun Ince responded but his shot drifted wide of the Binsrtead goal. Shortly before the break Fraser Law done well to grab the ball at the second attempt after a shot took a deflection. Brandon Couling sent a cross into the Bibnstead box but Daniel Pearson headed over the bar so the teams went in level at half time.

H-t 2 – 2 

Sam Turner was brought on for the second half in place of Brandon Couling(injury) with Jamie White dropping into left back. Binstead could have taken the lead in the 46th minute but their number 10 fired wide of goal before a minute later Dom Sexton tried his luck from distance but shot striaght at Tom McInnes. An Aarun Ince cross saw Max Coshell go close for the home side. Another injury, this time to Jamie White forced him off in the 68th minute, with Billy Pelosi coming on and Dom Sexton become the third left back of the game for Cowes. Billy Pelsoi sawe a hot well saved at full stretch by Tom McInnes who was having a blinder in the Binsead goal before he was beaten by a Sam Turner header, however a defender was on the goalline to clear the ball. Another fine save from the Binstead number one denied Aarun Ince a second goal as the home side searched for a third goal. Jason Ince was then denied by another Tom McInnes save before he then just mananged to push a cross from Max Coshell away for a corner. The home side in pushion forward left gaps at the back and Binstead nearly snatched victory twice hitting the woodwork in the dying minutes of the game whilst Aarun Ince fired over the bar for the home side as the second half somehow remained goalless and the teams once again shared the points.